Old Rollcage Interview
Slinger: working link > http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/02/09/t...-interview
http://www.gamecheatsmaster.net/articles...c28e0ef164

Some interesting thoughts in there:
Quote:"It was Stephen Bennett's (co-designer and lead programmer) and my intention from the very start of the concept stage that we would keep the player in the thick of the action for every second of the race. We wanted to make sure the excitement doesn't stop until you reach the checkered flag. This means that we wanted indestructible vehicles ? after all, the last thing the player needs is for his car to be destroyed just as he were jostling for the lead! Having the concept of indestructible cars opened our eyes to the destruction element...'What would happen if a huge indestructible car crashed into the side of a building?'... the rest is ? as they say ? history"
Yeah, It's great that they had indestructible cars. I loved getting those crazy speed boosts from exploding buildings and signs Big Grin
I always love these old interviews. Unlike most people, every time they are interviewed they all seem so excited to talk about the origin, ideas and they all tell the same story...

High speed, constant action, unstoppable vehicles. I think they really figured out something unique here: the cars aren't just indestructible. It's the doublesidednes (is that even a word?), and the ability to drive on walls and ceiling that gave the feeling of truly being unstoppable, when compared to other games where the car would just break down or fall over the moment you wanted to drive... ehm "outside the box". Tongue

Really, no racing game before -or after- rollcage has managed to give me the same feeling of actually racing in THREE dimensions, and only rollcage has managed to reverse who is in charge in the everlasting struggle between the car and the track.

That, and exploding buildings... Smile
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
Noticed that link didn't work any more. I changed it. Also Stage II interview:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/03/28/r...-interview
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
"There will be modes for up to five players using LAN, modem, Internet, serial cable or even split screen. Of course there will be head-to-head racing action, which is the staple diet of any racing game, but we have backed this up with many other modes this time."

Hmm unfortunately only a few of them are available through LAN.. For the other modes, you have to play split screen, which is a shame for me.

"You also need to ensure that the sequel is a bigger game. There are more than 60 tracks and 20-plus cars in Rollcage Stage 2 compared to just 20 tracks and 7 cars in the original."

I'm counting no more than 30 tracks ! I guess he's also counting tracks from Scramble, but well they are not very "tracks" because you cant' have a race on them. Aaaah, interviews and the will to bring players to buy the game..

Anyway, it still a great game Smile
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
Yeah, hype it up. On the other hand the claim about cars seems correct. My opinion is that the important thing for LAN/WAN is racing and deathmatch - and those are supported at least. Smile
Try systemd. They said.

Code: