Poll: DK64 clone?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Oh, Banana! (yes)
0%
0 0%
Meh (no)
100.00%
1 100.00%
Do not know
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Minigame suggestion: DK64 clone
Another idea for a minigame.

In case it's unclear: DK64=donkey kong 64 (a 3D donkey kong game on the nintendo64).

I was just thinking it'd be possible. And using some feverish-dreams, it should be easy to come up with ideas for different tracks. In contrary to the other minigames, this will be in 3rd person perspective. Instead of using copyrighted monkeys, one could use various floss icons (tux, the gnu, etc).

It would probably be nice to keep the old kind of track selection from donkey kong country, instead of walking around on a 3D island. On the other hand, a 3D island could be used (as long as it's only providing the background imaging for a classic 2D point selection).

This minigame will only be a reality if there's much interest in it (preferably someone offers to create one or another track). Since all game content will be compatible, it might be possible to put together some basic demo using the existing "rollcage" and "brick fortress" content from recaged (only add a character and controller for it).

So, opinions?
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
Reviving this old thread with a doublepostbump!

And yes, I know no one will probably read this... And yes, I know no one will probably find this interesting... But I still felt like I needed to post this here just in case and also as a reminder for myself (if I do start on this).

I've recently found out about a cancelled n64 game called "dinosaur planet". While I have had some ideas for this minigame (basic controller, track selection and some maps) I finally have inspiration for a main character... Smile

I'm considering if to use 1st person view, 3rd person view, or a combination of both. Also, it might be useful to reuse maps for the "adventure game" mini game... Perhaps merge them? Would give quite original gameplay but also meaning having to come up with a new twist to the ending... Oh well, I'll keep on dreaming. Tongue

note to self: research fur-shading!
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.