Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Release: 0.8.2 sneak-peek - Texture preview! [UPDATED 09/22/2015]
First of all, this is all thanks to CodieMorgan stopping by and making a textured test wheel. I realized the current code sitting in a git repo wasn't very accessible and that I should make a more accessible preview of the current state of texture support in rcx. That was last summer. Unfortunately I decided it would also ship with an old idea I've been worked on: a splash/loading screen. It took me 2 days to add initial texture support, and... 1/2 year to finish the title.

Anyway, now it's finally done! This is a sneak-peek of rcx with texture support and of things to come. I was hoping to release it for xmas, so now I can finally wish you all a Merry Xm... What you say? Too late?

*checks calendar*Eyebrow

Oh.

Well then.

Merry RCXmas and a Happy GNU Year!

• Update 09/02/2015: New release! It includes several improvements from the master branch (some discussed in this thread), and -hopefully- fixes the bugs discovered by Mac and orgyia:
  • Source Code   (sha1sum: 881c0a62df281f522491b20c1cb327106e52ae1d )
  • Windows installer   (sha1sum: 0f8236b2c6432a428b55978d98b4bd0733cb24be )

Update: An introduction guide by orgyia!

Keep in mind that this is not only an early sneak-peek of the texture support in 0.8.2, but also of the next release (0.8.0) which is also not quite finished. This means there can be some bugs, and that there are some limitations/unfinished things:
  • Probably the first thing you will notice is the weird car handling. The downforce and tyre friction code has been completely rewritten to allow better handling (screw realism - from now on rcx is a game!) and make it easier to configure. I hope it will make it possible to replicate the original games, but unfortunately they have have not been tuned yet.
  • OS X is now supported, but I've only briefly tested this in a VM and there might be some bugs to find...
  • orgyia and CodieMorgan (as MoruganKodi/コディ[KODI]) are listed in the credits but I did not get around to add the models they have created. The models will be included in the future 0.8.0 release (and any preview of it). NEW MODELS INLCUDED! (and more to come)
  • The README is not finished
  • Although this release supports textures, most models have not been updated to use it yet.
  • F12 (debug geom/collision) rendering is messed up. FIXED!
  • Fullscreen mode on windows seems not to render anything.
  • incorrect rendering for large meshes (multiple VBOs) FIXED!
There are also several limits to the texture support I'm aware of, which can be important to know for anyone working on 3D models:
  • PNG, BMP and JPEG files are supported (with RGB, RGBA, and grayscale colours). But:
  • 16b PNGs are not supported (will be added)
  • 1b (bitfield) PNGs are not support (will be added)
  • alpha component IS supported (this is also true for materials), but alpha blending is not enabled in rendering. While it would be trivial to enable it (glEnable(GL_BLEND)), there are some things left to do (depth sorting, separate opaque and translucent rendering passes) before I want to officially enable it. Don't be afraid to use alpha, just know that it wont show up (yet).
  • indexed BMPs (and certain unusual colour formats in them) are not supported. Might fix this, but try to use PNG or JPEG instead.
  • Textures only work for diffuse colours right now. This will of course (with GLSL) change to also supporting emissive, parallax, relfection, and similar.
  • no mipmapping, but other texture filters are enabled (mipmapping will be added)
  • texture dimensions must be in power of two: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, ... But the width and height do not need to match!
  • no support for animated texture (might be added at some point in the future)
Also, I know the splash/loading screen (and the new site title) says "ReCaged," and of course it will change. I started working on it before the change to "RCX" was even an idea, but I wanted to finish it after spending so much time on it. Little did I know it would take so much more work to actually finish it. Of course there will be a new version for the real 0.8.2 release, saying "RCX" instead. Or possibly something completely different, like "Fusion Core." I'm completely open for new name suggestions, guys.

Now I'm going to get some rest and try to be more active on the forum again.Sleepy
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
> Pressed F12
> I lol'd.

Might need to fix that.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
I didnt expect this, congratulations.

I wrote a small faq.

Basic Keyboard Controls
Accelerate: Up Arrow
Brake: Down Arrow
Hand Brake / Drift Brake: Space
Steer Left: Left Arrow
Steer Right: Right Arrow
Switch Camera: F1, F2, F3, F4
Switch Car: F9
Respawn Car: F10
Pause: F11
Wireframe Mode: F12

Keyboard Mapping
The keys can be changed in the config\profiles\default\keys.lst file.

Window Resolution
The resolution and fullscreen option is set in the config\internal.conf file.

Camera Settings
Camera Settings can be adjusted in the config\profiles\default\profile.conf file.

Car Settings
Each car has a conf file in the car directory.
data\teams\<Team Name>\cars\<Car Name>\car.conf file.

How to change the track and car
The track and car to load is set in the config\tmp_menu_selections file.

How to make new tracks and cars
The game loads Wavefront .obj files, most 3D CAD programs can export this format.
Check the conf files for other settings.
Thanks! Smile

edit: added it to the first post.

(2015-01-24, 08:05 PM)K.Mac Wrote: > Pressed F12
> I lol'd.

Might need to fix that.
Pfffftt! What? I did not expect that. Must be some attribpointer or state changed by the geom render and not changed back. Also seems the colour is wrong for the last (collision indicator). Thanks for telling me, I'll add it to the list. Will fix it at some point - this is a preview of the next-next-next release. Wink

edit: added it to the post and my list of bugs. also noticed fullscreen on windows is borked. This used to work but is broken in the master branch as well (0.8.0), I'll have to figure out what's wrong here...
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
Oh... I've been looking through some notes (trying to order and digitize them), and this felt like the best opportunity to ask about some default settings I think can have importance for the "professional feel" of the game:
  • View Angle. By default this is dynamically calculated, which people might dislike. Should I change it to a fixed size instead? How much? I remember an old Mac Hack with the angle fixed at pretty high.
  • Resolution. Is 1280x720 a good default choice, or too small/big?
  • Merge tyre+rim into one model? I know this is a tricky question, and I get the feeling I might have asked it before. But I was looking over Codie's models and noticed his wheels being full tyre+rim models. It's guaranteed to look good and make modelling easier (no edge mismatch) and less confusing (right now each team can have their own rim, and the tyre belongs to the world), but could reduce customizability a bit.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Resolution, 1000x600 is safe for window mode, this is what I use but I dunno, my laptop res is 1366x768.

Wheels, I would use one file for the wheel model.

I found the car steering too sensitive for the keyboard in this version.
I changed from steer_decrease 0.001 to steer_decrease 0.01.

I updated the faq by the way, F10 reset F11 pause.
I use 1280x720. It's a good, default resolution. Fullscreen never worked for me anyway, like, ever. Blame SDL.

As for viewing angle/POV, I use 70. Rollcage / Stage II has a dynamic POV based on speed, though, but for now a static POV of 60 and 70 are both good views considering it's a racing game. Any higher and it starts to look odd. AFAIK most games use 60 or 70.

Merging tires and rims? For now, you can just leave it as is. Provided the game can simply ignore a missing tire/rim, we can basically load a full wheel with one of them and 'nothing' with the other, which gives the same effect. I think it's best to leave it as it is right now, unless you're okay with creating five sets of wheels for a car that just have different tire treads for a specific world. Well, i guess we can just do that anyway. I'm lazy.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
F10 doesn't reset the world, just the car (same as if you drive of the track). You can just respawn and keep hitting stuff until everything is broken. Wink

Oh, another thing I'm planing on changing: the camera settings will probably move to the car.conf instead of profile.conf. My thinking is that camera settings should be something default that most people wont modify, but that some cars might need special tweaks (special bumper placements, or rear wings covering the view). So each car inherits a set of default camera settings, and it's up to the car creator to make sure it works for their car, if they do something funky.

also..
*tries 60° view angle*
Whoa, so difference, very vision. Amaze.

No more tunnel-vision feeling! Although the perspective isn't realistic anymore... oh well, it improves the driving experience too much to be ignored. I'll go with that (or something just slightly lower) from now on. Switching to a fixed angle would open up for the same dynamic change as in the original games (*writes note for it*).

Some thoughts about resolution: I think I'm aiming for a 16:9 ratio, and the smallest screen I still got around is 1280 wide (old 4:3 display), so 1280 is probably the maximum upper limit (but with window borders it's pushing it). orgyia, is there some reason 1280x720 is too big for you? I understand it's big compared to your screen. But is it too big to fit? If possibly I think I'll keep the current, but if there's a reason I'll decrease it a bit.

Mac, I'm thinking of ditching my rim+tyre models completely and just use one (or more) of codies full wheel models (and shorten up the directory paths a bit). If some good separate tyre+rim models appear I'll consider that route instead. Supporting one or the other approach doesn't really take much code, so I think it'd be easy to change it back. I guess each world should provide a set of complete wheels, possibly also there being a directory with generic wheels.

(2015-01-26, 01:14 AM)K.Mac Wrote: Fullscreen never worked for me anyway, like, ever. Blame SDL.

hmhmhmhmhm.. blame canada! blame canada! hmhmm... err, I mean, SDL... Angel

But yeah, if you always had problems with full screen, then I suspect there's some deeper flaw in either my code or sdl. Maybe I should wait until switching to sdl2 to try to fix it, in case it's not actually my fault... or if it is. Tongue
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I dunno, I dont mind what the defaults are.
Ill update the faq.

Using 1280x720 because of the window border and the start menu / task bar, I cant see the whole game window, the width is ok, the height is a bit to big, height 700 is about the max here.
I dont mind changing the resolution.

Heres some of my settings after tweeking the game a bit.

This is a far back camera, its a bit swoopy (damping setting or something) but it looks good.
Added some pictures below.

Code:
#camera 4
camera4:target_offset 0 20 0
camera4:anchor_offset 0 0 0
camera4:anchor_distance 0 -45 8
camera4:hide_car false
camera4:collision_radius 4
camera4:collision_angle 60
camera4:linear_stiffness 50
camera4:angular_stiffness 500
camera4:damping 4
camera4:relative_damping false
camera4:rotation_speed 40
camera4:enable_reverse true
camera4:enable_in_air true
camera4:air_time 0.5
camera4:ground_time 0.5
camera4:offset_scale_speed 0

These are some changes to the car settings.
I had a problem with the car flipping when turning at high speed.

Code:
motor_distribution true true
max_steer 40
steer_decrease 0.008

I made a level with about 21,000 verts, the game didnt load the textures properly or something.
The level was there in wireframe mode, but I couldnt see the level textures in normal mode.
The level loaded correctly after I removed some objects, I guess I reached a limit or something.

Ive found for tunnels, and other sorts of turns, the road requires many faces, or the turns are too bumpy.
I made one high speed 180 tunnel, it had 4,160 verts, 4,128 faces, 8,256 tris.
With the car settings above, holding right at top speed, the car will follow the bottom of the tunnel.
Max speed turning circle radius: 4.5 blender units.

Attached Files Image(s)

The collision and car/tire settings are still wrong, the car has too much downforce at high speed and too much grip I think, and not enough at low speed (it wheelies heh). It needs fixing, but it's something that might take a long time.

The tire configuration in the car.conf still looks awfully complex to me, though perhaps it's just because I've glossed over it and I haven't yet set the car up properly and worked on trying to change the properties to make it handle more predictably.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
Okay I'll keep the resolution for now. In the future (when there's an in-game menu for changing settings) it'd make sense to use a smaller resolution as a safe/first time config. Also I just learned what I always called "camera angle" is something else and is instead called "field of view", or rather, horisontal FOV. So I'm going to change the name and change to a fixed FOV. Seems the original games uses a fov just above 90° in deathmatches, and just under 90° in normal races. Personally I'd like not to distort the view too much (accurate fov in full screen for me is just around 22°...), so maybe 40°, 45° or at most 60°?

Orgyia: Congratulations on discovering a bug! Smile I really want to find the cause of it. I assume by objects you mean actual game objects (like boxes) and not parts of your 3D model? And that the model rendered okay, but without the texture? There is a slight chance this is a driver bug (I found something similar in the classic mesa radeon drivers), but it's very unlikely. I assume you're using up to date drivers?

Given that it appears at big models, I'd say it's either something with the vbo allocation (maybe I forgot to add 2 more floats for the uv for each vertex), or just some memory leak in the texture loader that I haven't noticed (the texture gets overwritten by data from the model). If you want please send me the model (you know my email?) so I can try to figure this out.

Speaking of vbos: I've decided to remove the common vbo where smaller models are gathered together. I first made that as an optimization (to reduce vbo bindings), but it can become fragmented (load a few models, remove some, load some others, etc...), and would prevent a kind of semi-static gouraud shading I'm planing (very similar to the torches and streetlights in the original games). (more technical: it's not possible to render from multiple buffers with different data offsets in opengl)

So I did some benchmarks to see what performance loss it'd give. In software mesa rasterizer I noticed no change, on a nvidious windows system still no change. Then I tried it on a similar windows system with radeon graphics and noticed a difference. But not what I expected: the fps went up! Laugh I have no idea how this is even possible, but all I know is that I don't need to worry about small models using separate buffers. So now there's no question: I'll remove the shared vbo.

This means the dynamic assets tracking is about to rock (dynamically load and unload 3d models during the race together with everything else!), optional semi-static lighting in the future (add/remove infinite light-sources to a mesh without causing any load on the gpu!), and slightly less vram usage, if anyone had problems running the game on their old 8MB graphics card. Big Grin

And Mac, yes I know the car is weird right now. And there are some minor changes left in the code (just noticed soft brakes jump directly to 100%, uh oh...), but the config file is more or less final. The possible exceptions are a new option for limiting the max Fz and perhaps some velocity limit for when the brakes will disengage and the car starts reversing (instead of right now the brakes only disengaging once the car starts moving backwards...).

I'm digressing... For the config, I assume you mean the tyre config? It's still similar to the old one, in that it uses slip angle and ratio, but that you don't need to worry about the tedious and unreliable way of specifying the curves. The new code got some inspiration from here (yes, I know I'm linking it from a proprietary engine doc):
[Image: pacejka_curve.jpg]
The graph begins at (0,0), goes up to (extremum_slip, extremum_value) decreases back to (asymptote_slip, asymptote_value). rcx/recaged also allows a non-zero value at no/low slip (static friction) and the names are changed a bit:
At no slip: (0, $value), from conf: "tyre:x.static $value"
Increases to (peak_pos, peak_value), from conf: "tyre:x.peak $peak_pos $peak_value"
And goes down to (tail_pos, tail_value), from conf: "tyre:x.tail $tail_pos $tail_value"
And after tail_pos, it keeps a constant value.

If you want constant mu, just set all three to the same value and tweak it until it's about right. Then try decreasing (and tuning location of) the high or low slip to get just the right drifting or similar.

And regarding downforce: If I remember correctly it's now configured to be constant when driving on flat road (thanks to the "gravity boost"). It's only on slopes you start to need speed to get more downforce. And of course at walls and ceilings speed is the only thing. If you think the car got too little downforce at start (instead of having too high torque/to heavy wheels/too much grip), just increase it! (hint: I think so too Smile)
Also regarding something else I read: No the new directory structure is not bad. All source code is in "src", together with anything compiled. It's the cleanest and most professional approach ever. Tongue
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
The static compiler, yes - but you should see the directory where the compiled-source-code version I got of 0.7.2 is. Hint: It's a total mess, random files and source code everywhere. The executable is in the source-code folder. >.>;

That was my gripe, mainly. Compiling the game seems too much hassle now for some reason. Before I used to be able to just extract it to a random directory and compile, the last time we had to fuck about with msys and put the files in a specific directory... which is a pain for me to get to. Geh.

But, when I feel more inclined I'll work on it, since with how things are right now I don't really -need- to recompile the game to change things. That said, do you ever plan to add more debug stuff to the game? (on-screen speed readout, downforce, grip graph, etc, like in that old debug build you had once?).

You should add 'proper' gears too, since the original game does have cars with gears. =p
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I disagree with all of that...

Yes, the executable is in src - that's the standard approach for more professional projects. And there's also more files being generated during the build process. That's due to automake which, again, is a common approach for more professional projects. If you don't like typing "src/rcx" to run it, then "cp src/rcx ." it out of there. It will still find the src files. Cool

Also, I just tried compiling through msys and I did not have to put the code in any specific place. I copied the directory to the desktop and cd into /c/Users/Slinger/Desktop/recaged and ran make_w32.sh. This doesn't mean I'm 100% sure it would work for you, but I don't think that's a problem (if it was). But anyway, why go through that hassle? I have a shortcut to the msys home directory on the desktop, so I can easily access it, and then in msys I can quickly cd to whatever I've placed there. When you used to compile outside the mingw/msys directory tree, did you cd into the directory where you wanted to build by typing that whole path? Sounds more like a pain compared to a shortcut on desktop and a short "cd recaged"... Wink 

The hud stuff is in the "hack/hud" git branch, but it's not updated yet to all the new code (especially the downforce and tyre friction). You can open a terminal in the git thingy i once sent you, and run... I don't remember... I wrote a script to automatically check out a branch and move it to some random directory... probably "gitslinger" or something. Open one of the checkout bat's, and see what it's called. You just need to run "gitslinger hack/hud" from a terminal to get that branch.

Regarding gears... it's no problem. Except I'd also need to add an engine torque/rpm model. Seriously, if you got any idea for an easy way to describe the engine torque at different rpms, that you think might work, just let me know and I'll code something up. My mind is too broken up in small things to do right now I know I'll forget to search for a model. Just google/duckduckgo it and see what you find. Bonus points if it could be described using a fixed number of values, so I can just add the settings to car.conf instead of a new file type.

edit: regarding the placement of the exe: I could just add a new option for building which doesn't bother with the installer, and finishes everything by moving rcx.exe out of src. Actually I'll do that. Got some other coding stuff planed to do today, but should go fast enough.

edit2: Seems fov for me was in fact almost 45° at full screen previously (dynamic fov). Which, incidentally, is what I've now set as default.

edit3: okay, it's done! Starting with the next pull you can just type "make_w32.sh quick" to build and get the exe copied outside the src dir. (actually, you would just type "make_<press tab> quick") Wink

oh, and if you want to use git for real, you can place the clone directory inside your msys home, that way you don't even need to copy anything... yeah, yeah. Okay, you don't want to use git, I know. Tongue

edit4: I'm going to be offline for a few days, but I'll push an update later tonight you might find worthwhile to try to compile and run.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I like banner.
Ive been meaning to make level file with the texture bug, I dont know what you want though, obj or blend file.
I think the bug happens when there are too many vertices, could be something else like textures.
When you say banner, you mean the one on top of the site? Yeah, I'm starting to feel unsure about "RCX" and might change the name back to "ReCaged" or "Recaged"... I'm hopeless... Tongue Laugh

And thanks for wanting to help! You don't need to make a new track, I think I managed to find the bug you discovered. I actually discovered an "optimization" I had done, which in reality just broke everything (and gave no performance gain). I've fixed it so hopefully it's all good now. There's also some other improvements and I've finally added your test track (with a slight modification... Wink ).

So check out the new updated version and let me know if it works!

Now I'm going to return to make various fixes, and perhaps finally start responding to a thread I've been procrastinating way too long...
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Yea the recaged banner.
Its pretty cool, I like the wheels, the track bumps are a good addition.

The cars still really drifty, we found some good settings on this thread, but I dunno that up to you.
http://forum.recaged.net/thread-1652-pos...ml#pid2703
http://forum.recaged.net/thread-1652-pos...ml#pid2707

I loaded a textured level with 31,000 verts, seems to work.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's nice to see it's pushing forward Smile Keep it up guys !
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
Thanks, both of you. It's really motivating to see responses. Smile

I've been absent for a while, I think I'll remain quite passive for the rest of the month. Time will have to tell when I'll be able to fully return.

orgyia, I'm impressed you've figured out how the steer_decrease works. I'll try to add some of your tweaks, and some more code changes (especially how grip differs between high and low poly counts).

Cheers!
Try systemd. They said.

Code: