test level
I made a small level in blender, attached a zip with the files.
I wasnt sure how to setup levels so I replaced the Box.obj and Box.mtl files.
Was tested on 0.7.0.

[Image: show.php?id=82092]

Attached Files
.zip   Box.zip (Size: 119.28 KB / Downloads: 119)
This is... Awesome!

I need to check it out closer (poly count, etc), but would it be ok if I include it officially in the next version of recaged/rcx?

As for level setup: have a look at geoms.lst for the specific track. It's going to change in the future, but for now that's where all collision and rendering meshes are defined.
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
(2015-01-11, 11:31 AM)Slinger Wrote: would it be ok if I include it officially in the next version of recaged/rcx?
Sure, do what you want with it.

(2015-01-11, 11:31 AM)Slinger Wrote: As for level setup: have a look at geoms.lst for the specific track. It's going to change in the future, but for now that's where all collision and rendering meshes are defined.
K.
Nice!

Just a short question: do you have any preference/thoughts on the license for it? Like GPL3, all-permissive or CC-BY-SA, to name a few. I always want to sort that stuff out right away (an old anecdote: CodieMorgan once sent me a bunch of nice 3d models years ago, but then I had no idea how to properly handle licenses... so it's only recently, after asking people on fsf, reading up on it and contacting Codie about it, that I've begun to be able to actually add them to the game Angel ).

If you're unsure and want to see some examples of licences (and how suitable they are), have a look at the debian wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

Of course, the classic all-permissive license I've used for my (simple) models is just the following short text:

Quote:Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
notice and this notice are preserved. This file is offered as-is,
without any warranty.
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
GPL3 sounds good.
Ok! It should work for media files as well as code - I'm actually using it for my "Venom" car.

It of course depends on what one mean by "source code", but I think obj&mtl are identical to the .blend? Or do you think the .blend might serve some purpose? I've considered adding media sources (where applicable) to the git repo, while not shipping them in the official release tarballs. It seems useful for some stuff (like svg files), while other files (Venom, again) have also been edited by hand after being exported from blender and could just be imported back from obj&mtl.

(sorry if the post is a bit weird, I'm a bit tired when writing this. I'll include the track in the git repo in a day or so)
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I understand, but I dont know much about licenses, so I dunno.

Its up to you if you consider the blend or obj as the source file.
Blender can read obj's, also its human readable format, so I think the obj can be considered a source file.
Also, in this case, the blend doesnt contain any extra data, but yea, I dont know much about licenses.
I dont care, its up to you.

Ive attached a better version below, less messy.

Attached Files
.zip   Box.zip (Size: 103.4 KB / Downloads: 114)
The license is fine. I just thought that you wanted the gpl for some specific reason (like you wanted to having the .blend included). I agree that blender can import obj, so I guess I'll just include the obj and mtl (at least for now). Again, I'm using gpl for my car and I don't think there's any problem with using it for media files.

And the old version wasn't messy. Wink

... I guess the new version looks cleaner. If you are still working on it, can I request you bring back something similar to the bumpy part in the old version? It could be good with some bumps for testing the wheel friction at varying loads (got a completely new model for tyre friction since 0.7.0 which could use some proper "stress testing"). I like the look of the new entrance. I suspect you want textures? I'm going to release a sneakpeek build with texture-support soon, just got one thing left to finish...
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Attached a new version below, it has some test bumps, ramps, loops.
Textures are good, its hard to tell how fast the car is going without them.
It would be nice to a play a new version.

Attached Files
.zip   Box3.zip (Size: 178.96 KB / Downloads: 112)
Well, this was way more than I thought. I was just thinking of something along the line of changing one of the longer straight parts of the scramble road, but you've practically created a whole new track! Stunned

Now I need to start figuring out how to actually integrate it. I've been meaning to create a new test track myself (not like a scramble track but more like a racing track to try high speeds and tunnel driving) and add some ramps made by Codie. I assume it's ok if I export the separate objects of your track and add them as separate objects to the full track? I just need to figure out a nice name for your scramble road/track...

Regarding the texture preview: The current version with support for texture can be grabbed and compiled directly using git (git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/recaged.git) under the branch named "minor/textures". I realize not everyone wants to use git or compile the code (at least on windows), so after finishing the current code last summer I decided I should release a sneakpeak of it. Unfortunately I decided I would finish a new title image and include it as a splash screen for the sneakpeak... yeah, it took about 2 days to add (initial) texture support, and half a year to finish the title. Laugh But it feels like 95% complete now and I'm too stubborn not to finish it.

Of course first I'll add your track to the master branch (so it's included starting from the next release). I'm also working on updating the documentation and credits.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Sorry, I cant reply to all that, too much discussion.
You can do what you want with the track objects, I probably wont add anymore.
Sorry for digressing. Laugh

Ok then, in short: I'll add parts of your track, the main test road and some ramps, possibly with some modifications. I'm going to release a build with experimental texture-supporting (as a sneakpeak for release 0.8.2, but the next official is 0.8.0), but it might take some time.

Thanks for making the test track.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Slinger you can consider the above files released under the CC0 license.
You can put my user name in a credit list if you want, but you dont have to.
Oh, okay. Consider it done!

You are already on the credits list, btw. Wink

edit: okay, the AUTHORS file is not updated. But you are listed in the credits in both README and text output from program. I'll update the AUTHORS file at some point (and add it to the Start menu on windows).
Try systemd. They said.

Code: