unity wolf
This is a blend file with a unity wolf model from the game.
The model is from the unity wolf type I pinp file.
The the 2 cylinders (wheels) are from the scrambled racing line gfxm file.

In rollcage 2, each level has a unique set of wheels for the cars.
I havnt changed the positions or scale of the models, except for the 4 black duplicate wheel.
I tried to position the 4 duplicate wheels in the correct position based on pictures, but I dont know the real correct positions.

Attached Files
.zip   unity-wolf.zip (Size: 91.17 KB / Downloads: 87)
I think the car select menu is probably the best way to place the wheels in relation to the car, but if the wheels and car model can be exported into .obj format it won't matter, as all I'm interested in are the actual dimensions and I'll be able to work that out in the RCX engine.

SLINGER! WE NEED AN .OBJ STAT! Also how on earth did you manage to rip the models from the game? This is something we've been trying to do for years!
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
I posted a blender script on the other thread to import some modl formats.
Blender can export to .obj, so I dunno.

The modl entries have an offset to a list of signed shorts (2 byte) which are the vert points, XYZ-.
They also have an offset to a list of faces, quads and tris.

Because rollcage uses signed shorts, the values were converted like so: 234 -> 234.000.
This makes the models really big, though I guess you could scale them down some factor.

The pinps have 3 modl entries, though only the first one works, which is the car.
Some of the addresses in the 2nd and 3rd are too big for the file, so I guess they are pointers to gfxm data, or something.
Perhaps the extra data is due to the second/third cars having different textures, or perhaps it's a pointer to the different engine sounds that they use? I wouldn't know, unfortunately.

At any rate if the cars are oversized they can probably be downscaled; I know from my own experience that some simple downscale value will get the cars close in size to the current in-game models but since I don't have Blender Slinger needs to hurry his ass up and load this stuff to get a working .obj model for the cars.

... Also if you could rip the Taipan or Reaper that'd be awesome.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
I sent you pm with some models, im not really sure how to setup the objs for recaged.
I'm not either, that's the problem.

Slinger's disappeared too.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
No, I have not been disappeared (Catch-22 reference, anyone?). I've been meaning reply to this, but kept focusing too much on random stuff...

So...

This is really exciting! This is the stuff I dreamt about when Spontificus created the IMGHack! And I like the fact that you made a blender add-on, since then anyone can use it.

Now, regarding exporting from blender (which is the way I've created almost all of my models), you only need to keep an eye on three things in the obj exporter options:
  1. If you got any smooth shading, enable "Write Normals" (rcx doesn't care about smoothing groups, since all editors got their own take on shading/normals, and I don't want to mess up smooth normals by recalculating them)
  2. Blender (like many, but not all, editors) likes to rotate objs around the x axis. To prevent this, just change "Forward:" to "Y Forward" (alternatively you can specify the needed rotation to fix it in the config file for the car)
  3. "Scale." I would keep it at 1 and see how the model looks in the game before changing it (and just as rotation above, you can also rescale the model through the car.conf settings if you like, which I'd suggest in this case).
Oh, and a quick question: do your importer also work with MODL sections for tracks? I guess you parsed PINP files from rc2, but maybe it's possible to use it for the MODL sections in the first game? Can you also extract textures? Because I could send you all textures in ppm format (no alpha channel) if it would be of use. I know, I really need to start pushing the current idxtool to the git repo and start adding to png and model support, but there's just been so much stuff taking my time. And I'm still busy with another thing...
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
(2015-01-11, 11:53 AM)Slinger Wrote: Oh, and a quick question: do your importer also work with MODL sections for tracks? I guess you parsed PINP files from rc2, but maybe it's possible to use it for the MODL sections in the first game?
Yea, the script I posted can import most the track models, in the gfxm files, I havnt tried it on rcI though.
It searched for 'MODL' then builds a model from the data, for each entry.

(2015-01-11, 11:53 AM)Slinger Wrote: Can you also extract textures? Because I could send you all textures in ppm format (no alpha channel) if it would be of use.
Yea, I wrote separate script to import the textures to blender from pinp files.
I was trying to write a script to set the uvmap for the car textures, no luck yet though.

(2015-01-11, 11:53 AM)Slinger Wrote: I know, I really need to start pushing the current idxtool to the git repo and start adding to png and model support, but there's just been so much stuff taking my time. And I'm still busy with another thing...
I like the tool as it is, dumping the binary files and repaking is good enough.
It would be nice if there was an idxtool binary for people to download, I dunno.

Thanks for posting.
I don't think getting the UVmaps is too important right now, so long as you can apply some sort of basic materials mapping to the polygons on the cars so that they can at the least 'look' a little textured and not be all one colour.

But, hopefully you can get a working .obj now? Also if it's possible to rip any tracks from RC2 and load them in RCX, that would be awesome. The main problem may be scaling, but we can probably work that out provided the tracks and cars have the same scaling in the end.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
(2015-01-11, 10:42 PM)K.Mac Wrote: But, hopefully you can get a working .obj now?
Eh, you should download blender, im not sure why you dont.
Its not that I dont want to help, I dont want to be depended on.

(2015-01-11, 10:42 PM)K.Mac Wrote: Also if it's possible to rip any tracks from RC2 and load them in RCX, that would be awesome.
The script cant import segments. The script can import the models from the levels (buildings, objects), the roads/segments is a different set of data.
Can we just appreciate this guy for a sec?

Legit, we've been trying to rip these models for about a year now, then this orgyia strolls along and just posts, "Hey, look i got something"

wtf, gg orgyia
- Endoman123
Needs more rice...
(2015-01-13, 07:42 PM)Endoman123 Wrote: Can we just appreciate this guy for a sec?

Legit, we've been trying to rip these models for about a year now, then this orgyia strolls along and just posts, "Hey, look i got something"

wtf, gg orgyia
- Endoman123

I never said I don't appreciate this. This is such a big thing to me that ... well, even though I have the models I've never used blender before and I don't know how to work with it to make them into .obj files, and I'm worried that if I try I'll break them. xD.

No, really, that's why I asked if it could be done instead of doing it myself. I have no real 3D modelling experinece. >.<
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
I dunno, wavefront .obj's can be exported from the File menu.
If you get stuck with some specific problem, someone may be able help.

I wrote some notes about the dimensions of the cars in rc2.
Below are some set of numbers.

Wheel Origin from Car Origin: X:34 Y:26
Wheel Width: 18
Wheel Radius: 17
Max Car Height from Car Origin: 14
Max Car Front Length from Car Origin: 53
Max Car Back Length from Car Origin: 47
Max Car Width from Car Origin: 25 = (34 - 9) = (Wheel Origin X - (Wheel Width / 2))

The maximum back of the cars extends 4 units from the end of the wheels.
The maximum front of the cars extends 10 units from the end of the wheels.
The maximum car body width is 50, and length is 100.
The maximum car body height is 28, the wheel height is 34.

Each wheel has the same offset from the center (assuming the offset is correct).
FR X:34 Y:26, BR X:34 Y:-26, FL X:-34 Y:26, BL X:-34 Y:-26.
The car wheel origins make a rectangle, width (68) length (52).
The four outer corners of each wheel (Top View) make a perfect square, width (86) length (86).

Added a picture with the dimensions, the center of 4 pixels makes a vector.
The Richter Viking is marked out in blue.

Attached Files Image(s)

Interesting notes! I was always certain the main 'shape' of the cars (including wheels) was square. Guess I was right, though up until now I've been using a screenshot as my comparison and never been able to access actual data to identify car size/layout.

All I know is that the car bodies have a separate collision box, but it's good for getting the visual layout and the placement of the wheels. I'll have to mess about and try and convert those dimensions into numbers useful in RCX (perhaps divide them by 10 and use them as meters, which currently stands at giving the cars a wheel diameter of 3.4m (not much different from what I originally used, which was 3m). Cutting that in half to make the cars a little smaller world-wise (1.7m wheel diameter) might well work, but I'll concentrate on mapping the co-ordinates out first!

... I also have that screenshot of Yuri's car-model texture lying around, gonna see later on if it matches up at all.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
Finally a chance to figure out proper dimensions - those were my thoughts too! But keep in mind that instead of dividing in half, you could scale them to any size you want:

Wanted wheel radius=1.25
original wheel radius=17
scale=1.25/17
And then just: wheel width=18*scale=18*1.25/17=1.3235...~=1.32 (rounded)

Aaaanyway, yes 3.5m would work fine (a bit bigger than the intro movies, but bigger is better?.. wait, that was not meant to sound dirty, actually the drivers would fit better in the cars then I guess). Maybe the units are actually cm? Or maybe these values are in what was originally sane units, in the old design of the game (before they made them double-sided?). Or maybe not. 34m high cars... no...

Now if it weren't for the copyrights, the car models could be added to rcx. But I guess mocking up new models "inspired" by the original ones shouldn't be too hard. Laugh

Oh, in case it's of any help:

And I agree with orgyia: join the dark side, Mac. Feel the power of blender. Ehm... maybe I shouldn't be speak here... seriously after all these years I still got no idea what the 3D cursor is for, despite it being so important it's placed with the left mouse button. But I do think you should give it a try! Just find some intro video/tutorial and play around with it.
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
I was checking some of the rc1 cars, most the numbers are the same, but each car seems to have a different Y offset.
Ria: Y+4 guess.
Yuri: Y+4 guess.
Lenny: Y+1 guess.

The wheels still use the same offsets.
FR X:34 Y:26, BR X:34 Y:-26, FL X:-34 Y:26, BL X:-34 Y:-26.

These are the same.
Wheel Width: 18
Wheel Radius: 17

Rc1 wheels have beveled edges btw, compared to rc2 wheels which are cylinders, I guess some people probably know this from playing the game.

For blender, its a bit odd but the 3d cursor is used for random tools, some examples.
When you add an object, its added to the 3d cursor position.
When you use Spin (mesh tool), the mesh is extruded round the 3d cursor.
The Pivot Point (3d view header) can be set to the 3d cursor.
Shift+S for some cursor snap features, etc.

Theres an option in user preferences I usually keep turned off, Interface > Cursor Depth. Im not sure what people use this for, probably for placing objects on objects or something.
It might be because the models in RC1 aren't symmetrical so the offsets are probably as a result of that. I'd honestly prefer the RC1 cars and yes, even though we can't use them in the real game, for the sake of learning I think we'll be okay. We won't be keeping them; they're too low-poly for a start, and we can easily mock up better versions of them.

... And yes, I still need to download Blender. And I know, Slinger, but I'd rather use an arbitrary value to keep the multiplied/divided values of an easy value that won't require obscene rounding up/down. Division by 2, 3, 4, etc. Gravity can be fiddled with anyway. As for the values the game uses I don't know, but at least the models can be decoded and read in Blender now!

... Still need to download Blender. But, since you have the models I don't see why you can't just rip/convert one... I know, I'm making up excuses.

edit

Bleh the file you PMed me doesn't download. :L

edit again

....... Yeah, this is why I said someone else should do it, because ... whut? Well, it kinda works. I got the thing backwards though but, yeah. Not sure what the inverted sphere around the car is about. Only thing I can liken it to is a shield xD. But it must just be some odd glitch.

... Compiling this game is too damn complicated now too. Hell, just navigating this mess of a source/compile folder to find the game executable took a few tries... Slinger, you really need to make the structure neater again like how it used to be. It's so messy right now.

96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
:)

In blender try enable all layers, shift + left mouse.
Also after pressing export wavefront (.obj), check the left side for options, there should be one called Selection Only in the Export Obj panel.
Right mouse to select objects, shift + right mouse to select more.

I think it looks pretty good backwards.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's backwards just because I set the orientation wrong. I don't understand why only the blue part of the car has an in-game material and everything else doesn't.

Ignore the wheels, those are from an earlier test which I never really evidently fixed or finished, involving a test model Codiemorgan posted.

I still think Slinger and yourself are better off fixing the car models to work in-game, though I might try again later tonight to get rid of that sphere.

edit

On the plus side, I somehow managed to get the Vostok Reaper to load properly in-game. Yes, I know most of the models. is that bad? xD. Kinda wish it was textured though, or at least I knew how to add materials to certain polygonal faces. Come to think of it I should rip one of the wheels too, would be good for getting the actual car dimensions/scale right..
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
By the way, I use the 'Blender Render' most the time, the 'Cycles Render' is more complicated, made for photo realism.
Im not sure if Cycles is on by default in new versions of blender.

Materials can be added in the properties editor, properties > materials.
The Assign material button only shows in when the objects in edit mode.
To assign materials to different faces, select the object, go to edit mode (Tab), select a face or face verts, then via properties > materials, select a material, then press Assign.

Adding textures and setting a uv map is a bit more complicated, probably be best to watch a video tutorial for this.