Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life, the Universe, and Everything (was: "Wikipedia article might get deleted!")
Music 
Well, it got deleted.

Okay, this was a pretty shocking discovery. If you go to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCaged

You will notice the article is considered for deletion.Stunned There is a discussion about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:...on/ReCaged

I have no experience with this situation before, so if anyone can give a hand with strengthening the arguments for it being kept, and perhaps add some independent sources to that discussion, it would be highly appreciated. Since this is a small project, of course it doesn't have a lot of sources. But maybe if we all get together we can stop it from getting deleted. Sad

Also, links to the recaged article are removed from the two rollcage game articles.
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
I realized that I have probably not explained my ambition and feelings towards ReCaged/RCX: So I guess it's time for, "The Talk."

I know the development speed has not always been the fastest. But this is something I really care about. Rollcage meant a lot to me when growing up (and helped me going through some very hard times). Recaged is my way of both making a tribute to those games and also give something back to the (admittedly small, but passionate) rollcage community. I spend a lot of the time I have thinking and working on recaged (especially planing! I got lots of notes for future features, and it hurts me not to have realized them yet), but I understand the slow speed can make it feel like I don't care about it. This is not the case - I care a great deal. This is my Primary hobby on my spare time, and the time I spend thinking and planing is much more than what it might seem like.

Unfortunately, I can not develop it faster than this. It's not only that I'm also studying, but I also got medical problems that means I got very little energy (among other things) to start with. Originally I was just coding on rcx from time to time and Jon handled the webpage. But now I'm also responsible for keeping the website up and running (which includes improving the website design, updating the forum and cms, handling spammers and security as well as running backups). Quite frankly the last few years has just swooshed by without me even noticing.

I don't really expect people to drop by and telling me to keep up the work or letting me know there are people out there who care about this little project, since I know it's not something one usually doesn't bother to do (I know I don't). Also I know that some of you do care about recaged/rcx. Or at least did at some point, but maybe the development speed has been too slow to keep it interesting. I also know that the versions so far has not featured very interesting cars and tracks, and the handling being quite poor. But I want you all to know that this IS something I'm trying to change to the best of my (limited) resources.

But if anyone wants to help out with anything, I would really appreciate it. Anything from just bringing new ideas to 3D and level editing is greatly needed. But for the project as a whole, especially finishing the website theme+content and simply just spreading the word is very important and something I really wish for.
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
OK I see why they deleted it, that's because they were no third party sources talking about it. So you have to be in a newspaper to be in wikipedia now, wow what an open minded sight of view.

Fortunately Wikipedia isn't the only source of information. I personally don't agree on Wikipedia system anymore

But anyway, it looks like they will disagree to add an article about Recaged unless it's finished. And you can't do it on your own, you need some people for the 3D models and tracks. Maybe some could help you, but there should be a TODO list somewhere or something to know precisely what has to be done.

I have no experience at all at creating a huge gaming project, but I think there's a need to :

1) Write some specifications about how the game should be done, and then write the source code. Especially if there should be more coders, that would really help to know what everybody has to do, to actually know the independent parts of the code for example. So have a kind of updated documentation about what steps are implemented, and what steps have to be implemented.
2) Write a program to be able to edit tracks, but that should be done after the 1), or at least after the track importing is defined
3) This can be done along with 1) : model cars ; 3D people can help here

Again, I have really no experience at all with these huge projects.. But that's how I would proceed if I had to lead it, to help people to get into the project, and also to help future contribution
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
First, about wikipedia:

Yeah, the reason for deletion does seem to make some kind of sense. Wikipedia used to be full of unverified claims. Some people (like me) appreciate that, as it meant wikipedia is more than just a dry encyclopedia, but rather also as a gathering of common sense and personal epiphanies - with, hopefully, the most wildly inaccurate ("verifiable inaccurate") claims removed. So they have started trying to clean it up, because these days people aren't taught critical thinking in school, and thus the entire computer using population must be saved from having to think. At least their system of references is fool proof with no risk of backfiring. Tongue I suspect the only reason anyone discovered and complained about this article is because I recently added the "game" tag to the article, which then made it visible (and flagged) by someone's automated wikipedia-reference-counter-o-matic script.

If it sounds like I'm angry, I'm not. I didn't take that personally, and the article can be restored when/if rcx gets more publicity. And until then I see two upsides to this:
* this can help motivate me to try to bring more attention to the project (including finishing up the website).
* also help me relax a bit, knowing that visitors from wikipedia wont come here until it's ready for showtime.

Quite frankly, the only thing that really bothers me is this edit on the Stage2 article:
Quote:12:13, 1 September 2014113.85.71.27 (talk)‎ . . (6,284 bytes) (-252)‎ . . (‎External links: Removed Dead Links, ReCaged Is Now Completely Cancelled Due To Serious Problem)
Apparently, there is a serious problem? Why didn't anyone tell me about it? Tongue

(also, they are using a wiki page for discussing other pages - instead of something dedicated (like something similar to the "edit history"). I can't determine if it's really clever or just insane Laugh )

Now back off topic/new on topc!

---

Oh lord... you replied a little more than one WEEK ago and I'm responding only now...

So much of my days I spend thinking of what to work on with rcx when I get some spare time. From finishing up the new website layout, to finally finishing those little bugs and handling improvements that should have been done a long time ago. Often it's these big features I end up never getting the opportunity to even start on. But when I finally have the time, I often end up having no energy left to do anything. If I'm lucky it's enough to post on the forum, or maybe to some small things that aren't as important as the things I should do. Some days it gives me a sense of panic, others it's this feeling of the potential of rcx slowly slipping away because people might end up giving up on the slow progress. Well, lets try to change this!

So... what you wrote is very insightful, and trust me you have more experience with creating huge gaming projects than I. So I have to ask: Can I hire you as the official guy-kicking-me-around-and-deciding-what-to-do? I can promise you a wealthy income of 0 units of currency (you pick the currency! Including the option of leafs). And the job comes with a very reliable health plan: none at all!

Jokes aside, the only reason I'm handling everything regarding this project is because Jon and Spontificus aren't around. If you have the time and want to help out (or even lead), let me know! I can set you up with an account on the CMS, moderator status on the forum, write permission to the git repo and everything else I don't remember. I could really need someone handling those things I fail to do to make this project look as respectable as it should be. Someone who got a better perspective on things and know to prioritise the right things. You know, making it look good, and attracting more rc fans to contribute. Things I've clearly failed so far. Sleepy

If you want to do anything, from changing a few % and em in the website css to completely change the layout, I want to make sure I'm not standing in the way! And your name wont be hidden - I have no wish to take credit for the stuff I don't do. Quite frankly, more people involved (and a long contribution list) is just a good thing. I have no (and have never had any) wish to be the single mastermind behind the whole project. Wink

So, regarding your points: I got tons of notes about future features and design (not just "a lot", but like several square meters of piles of little yellow notes, spread over a table and floor, mostly the floor since the table is now full of notes). I'm trying to move them all to gnote (a c++ port of tomboy). I guess moving some of all this online would be a good start for development/contribution/planning documentation. So what would be the best place to put this? On a wiki? Or is there some better option? I have no experience of this, but I've seen some projects using wikis for this kind of stuff. I also need a place to provide info about configuration guides (especially car configuration, which could use some plots and diagrams) and lua api/examples (for the future). So having it all collected somewhere would be nice.

Also your idea of an editor is just brilliant. Can we call it "Carpenter's Square" (hint: I'm a James May fan)? I have to admit this is not something I've thought about a lot until now. Is this something you'd be interested in working on? From a technical point of view: Adding the editor as an in-game feature would probably be easiest (to allow placment/respawn of objects, and realtime testing). Extending the current texture system to also use freetype font loading, and write a simple set gui rendering /response functions (to be replaced by lua in the future) is something I could do without too much trouble. For the actual editor... I got some ideas, but if this is something you'd like to work on you heave completely free hands. Just let me know what you need!

I definitely see the use of a simple editor for placing meshes, objects and future stuff (going to add support for purely decorative 3D, and layers for stuff like skyboxes in 0.7.2). I don't think the actual terrain making should be part of the editor. I've tried a few radiant forks, and I absolutely despise the whole "brush" concept! In fact, (to spy on our competitors) I see hammer for the next source engine has abandoned brushes for more common surface editing. And even then Blender is much better for outdoor/racing modeling, compared to some half-ass integrated 3D editor. So blender and inkscape/gimp for terrain and other 3D, the editor to bring it all together into an actual track. The only kind of mesh that would make sense to have an editor for would be the hackish scramble ".road" files. Which is something I've been thinking about for a longer time (the whole .road format is based around -eventually- being visually edited like the bezier splines in inkscape)

So where does this bring us, planning/priority-wise? this is a few things (as you mentioned, and some of my own thoughts), in no particular order:
* wiki? for development/contribution/planning documentation, lua api reference and examples, car configuration
* editor: not 3d editing, but scramble editing, placement of meshes+objects and 3D for scene and layers, light placement
* make the website look respectable, copy header/footer for forum and (wiki?)
* get more people involved with mapping and modelling
* 0.7.1&0.7.2
* generate more publicity (when all above is finished)

ps: I'm sorry if this post got long and unorganized. I was tired when I started writing it, and got even more tired when writing.
pps: I'm sketching on a new idea for the side layout. Lets just hope I get around to create it...
ppps: Mac, if you're reading this (if so, good job. this was a long post): This goes for you too. If you want access to the CMS or similar, let me know

edit: Regarding the "Carpenter's Square": According to James May ('s Man Lab), "In a recent study 38% of all British men admitted to having used one as a hammer."
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
(2014-09-30, 08:46 PM)Slinger Wrote: Can I hire you as the official guy-kicking-me-around-and-deciding-what-to-do?

Oh, you touched my tralala..

Seriously, I have to think about it. I know I can be very efficient in a project (well at least that's what my internship master told me in the end of my internship Tongue), but I've to know if I will have enough time to do it. If I enter my "super-worky" mode it should be ok (i'm either in "super-worky" or "super-lazy" mode, it depends on time and season).

Well, that's something to add to my todo list. I'll post later an update Smile
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
No problem! Smile Just think about it - I'm not in a hurry, as you might guess.

And don't take this too seriously, there's no way you could do a worse job than I when it comes to planning and pr... Tongue

And there's no reason for not giving you access to the cms and git anyway. If I got the vibe right, you is/were interested in doing some coding, just needing somewhere to start. And if that's something you'd like to do I can give you plenty of specific things to consider: map editor, glsl, package building files for various distros (debian, fedora, gnewsense, trisquel, guix, etc).  Wink

btw: Have decided on a new site layout and design. Hopefully it wont be too long until the main page starts to evolve... Smile  also requested (and got granted) some new stuff from tuxfamily: git repo for the idxtool, a subdomain for development wiki (wiki.recaged.net) and database for it. At first I was thinking of using mediawiki, but now it feels a bit overkill and all the updates (about each month) a bit burdensome. Dokuwiki and moinmoin would be two alternatives and they don't even need a database. Need to think about what to choose. I really only need an online equivalent of gnote.

(2014-10-02, 01:50 PM)potterman28wxcv Wrote:
(2014-09-30, 08:46 PM)Slinger Wrote: Can I hire you as the official guy-kicking-me-around-and-deciding-what-to-do?

Oh, you touched my tralala..

[Image: giphy.gif]

Seriously, people. I AM NOT GUNTER!

I am Dr. Bombay.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I would be very glad to help. But the main issue for me is time, I already have a lot to do with both associations and studies. Though, as soon as i'll dig myself seriously on it, i'll give you a more precise answer.

By the way, as I've a lot of things to do, I've searched for some tools to organize things on the computer (because I can't store things on my agenda ; I always forgot the agenda actually, and then forget to write it down when I come home), and I found Google Keep. This is really helpful ! (ok, it's not as helpful as vim or valgrind or git, but yeah it's been one week that my life has changed !)

More seriously, it's really clean :
[Image: 6NVILEIl.png]

And of course it has to do with life, universe and everything. Not as useful as vim or git or valgrind, but it's really nice.
I like the way this intentionally random change of topic name somehow got the posts to seem more on topic. Wink Well, except for the "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the BMP" one... that one even got grayscale images, admittedly of wheels and not of a crew on an insane bombing mission. :p

Aaaannyway... that looks like a nice interface. I've been using gnote to gather up all my random thoughts and notes, but having a mobile interface would be nice. Some non-google candidates I've installed (f-droid + cyanogenmod ftw!): tomdroid, mirakel, and... ehm... I can't remember. Thing is I haven't even gotten around to properly evaluate them. Tongue

Also I see you're using the new gnome interface. How is it? I've heard it got tiling addons, or could be combined with awesome (I'm currently running awesome+xfce), so I'm considering switching at some point.

Also: I'm pretty much devoting 100% of my energy on studying right now, so I know what it's like. Feel no pressure to having to do anything with rcx unless you want (and got the time&energy).  Laugh

edit: also, what distro do you use?
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Yes. In the beginning, I was asking myself if I was right to post it, considering this is not really on subject. But as the title of subject changed, well i'm on subject now.

I'm using Debian testing (not the testing from 1 week ; the "stable" testing, can't remember the exact name), and so I have Gnome 3. It has a really nice interface, I just don't really like the fact that if you open a new terminal, instead of automatically cding the path to the one of your parent terminal, it opens it to ~ instead. But that's details.

What I really like is that if you point your mouse to the top left, you have a general view of all your workspaces. Very nice.
No problem. For as far as I can remember, rollcage forums have always had a tendency of... threads not staying on topic after the first few posts. Or maybe it's the other way around: not the rollcage subject, but just me posting there... Wink

I've been using debian testing for years (after getting tired of archlinux breaking on updates). It's been superb, although lately I've gotten a problem where the system always freezes on start. The moment kms blacks the screen, it all just stops. I blame the switch to systemd. My solution is adding a "single" to the boot args. Sure it means I have to exit the rescue root shell at every boot, and start dhcpcd manually, but at least I can START it...

Also, I've tried gnome3 (when trying to figure out if a fresh reinstall would solve the freeze - it didn't). My main frustration is that you can't right-click on the panel any more. Like, plane insanity.
* Right click? no
* Alt-right? no
* super-alt-right? no
* enable numlock? no
It used to work. Somehow the most popular, 3+Gig, desktop environment with a bunch of (admittedly nice) eye candy, advanced new gui features and a dedicated add-on site can't even get right-click on the panel to work any more.Eyebrow
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
(2014-10-20, 06:32 PM)Slinger Wrote: To clarify: Please don't think I'm criticizing anyone here, I just felt like making these modified lyrics after seeing how normal people got an almost infinite supply of energy. They have all this spare time and energy they could spend doing such wonderful stuff, yet (some) just waste it getting drunk and other pointless stuff. They even got enough time and energy to complain about how they do not have any time and energy. And here I am, barely enough energy (long medical story here...) to barely do even the basic things necessary to live. I can feel how people look at rcx and go: oh that guy doesn't even bother release a new version/fix the website. Thing is, the rare spare energy I got I spend on rcx. And the lack of opportunity to actually work on it is driving me crazy. And seeing how some people pretty much declare rcx dead despite all is just... breaks my heart.

Just quoted your very long signature, to answer it in this thread !

I see my life in 2 parts : the one I have on my PC, and the one I have in the "real" life. And these parts are really disconnected in my mind. That means that if I would meet Broscar or Unreal in real life, I wouldn't see Unreal but the real Unreal (I had to make the joke Big Grin ), and the two would be different persons for me.

The same went with my ex-girlfriend : whenever I was speaking to her via Internet or messaging, I didn't really have the feeling to talk to her, just the "virtual" part of her.

That was just to illustrate the fact that these 2 parts are really disconnected in my mind.

Now, depending of the person, one would prefer the real life or the virtual life. I'm trying to do a balance of the 2 as much as possible, but most of the time, the real life takes the priority over the virtual life.

But that does not mean I spend all my nights going in parties and being drunk. For me, the real life is everything but this.

More precisely, as a student I have courses and homeworks and school projects ; but also, I'm dancing rock on Mondays night, I help to run a club of astronomy on Tuesdays night, I help to run a cinema club on Wednesdays night, I often play paper RPGs on Thursdays, and most recently I've met a very nice girl, but I won't go further into the subject Rolleyes .

That's my case, and i know i'm a bit crazy to do all these things (right now you have a good example of the disadvantage : sleeping at 3 a.m. to finish homework you could have finished otherwise if you didn't do all this stuff), but some other guys may have their reasons. I'm not speaking of developing RCX, but more generally, I'm speaking of doing something "useful".

So as a conclusion, we have guys that cannot work on a project as they would if they were in a company (full or mid time job), unless they completely negligate their real life to the virtual life (which is possible and legitimate). So even if there was a perfect organization etc.. RCX would still go slowly, unless someone as least as motivated as codemonkey shows up.

Though, yeah I blame people who complains about RCX developing speed without being programmers themselves. This is like complaining about the crisis without giving a solution, and just saying "This should not be like this" "OK, so why should be changed ?" "I don't know, but the crisis should be ended".

But these complains are unavoidable. Especially since codemonkey showed up with Redux and Extreme : people must think : "if he was so fast to release Redux and Extreme, why is RCX going so slow ?" ; but in this case, what people are not aware of is that the 3D models are already here, so he "just" has to do the coding (the "just" does not mean that it's little ; this is actually huge to do in one's free time ; but if he had 3D models to do as well, it would be impossible).

I personally still believe in Recaged or RCX, the only issue is time

PS : please note that it's 3 am and I may have written some illogical things
(2014-09-20, 12:06 PM)Slinger Wrote: Well, it got deleted.

Okay, this was a pretty shocking discovery. If you go to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCaged

You will notice the article is considered for deletion.Stunned There is a discussion about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:...on/ReCaged

I have no experience with this situation before, so if anyone can give a hand with strengthening the arguments for it being kept, and perhaps add some independent sources to that discussion, it would be highly appreciated. Since this is a small project, of course it doesn't have a lot of sources. But maybe if we all get together we can stop it from getting deleted. Sad

Also, links to the recaged article are removed from the two rollcage game articles.

Could you not create a Recaged Wiki on Wikia or is that too open to everyone editing it?
Life is better at 350+ kph
My reason for the wikipedia article was just PR. About making a wiki on wikia for develoment/info is a good idea. But the excellent hosting provided by TuxFamily (They rock! Smile ), makes it possible to add a wiki (or any other service we would need) directly on the site, with full control (and backup). So I'm planing to run dokuwiki here when I get the time: http://wiki.recaged.net
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I promised myself the first thing I'd do when I felt I had the energy was to reply to this:

(2014-10-21, 01:02 AM)potterman28wxcv Wrote:
(2014-10-20, 06:32 PM)Slinger Wrote: To clarify: Please don't think I'm criticizing anyone here, I just felt like making these modified lyrics after seeing how normal people got an almost infinite supply of energy. They have all this spare time and energy they could spend doing such wonderful stuff, yet (some) just waste it getting drunk and other pointless stuff. They even got enough time and energy to complain about how they do not have any time and energy. And here I am, barely enough energy (long medical story here...) to barely do even the basic things necessary to live. I can feel how people look at rcx and go: oh that guy doesn't even bother release a new version/fix the website. Thing is, the rare spare energy I got I spend on rcx. And the lack of opportunity to actually work on it is driving me crazy. And seeing how some people pretty much declare rcx dead despite all is just... breaks my heart.

Just quoted your very long signature, to answer it in this thread !

I see my life in 2 parts : the one I have on my PC, and the one I have in the "real" life. And these parts are really disconnected in my mind. That means that if I would meet Broscar or Unreal in real life, I wouldn't see Unreal but the real Unreal (I had to make the joke Big Grin ), and the two would be different persons for me.

The same went with my ex-girlfriend : whenever I was speaking to her via Internet or messaging, I didn't really have the feeling to talk to her, just the "virtual" part of her.

That was just to illustrate the fact that these 2 parts are really disconnected in my mind.

Now, depending of the person, one would prefer the real life or the virtual life. I'm trying to do a balance of the 2 as much as possible, but most of the time, the real life takes the priority over the virtual life.

But that does not mean I spend all my nights going in parties and being drunk. For me, the real life is everything but this.

More precisely, as a student I have courses and homeworks and school projects ; but also, I'm dancing rock on Mondays night, I help to run a club of astronomy on Tuesdays night, I help to run a cinema club on Wednesdays night, I often play paper RPGs on Thursdays, and most recently I've met a very nice girl, but I won't go further into the subject Rolleyes .

That's my case, and i know i'm a bit crazy to do all these things (right now you have a good example of the disadvantage : sleeping at 3 a.m. to finish homework you could have finished otherwise if you didn't do all this stuff), but some other guys may have their reasons. I'm not speaking of developing RCX, but more generally, I'm speaking of doing something "useful".

So as a conclusion, we have guys that cannot work on a project as they would if they were in a company (full or mid time job), unless they completely negligate their real life to the virtual life (which is possible and legitimate). So even if there was a perfect organization etc.. RCX would still go slowly, unless someone as least as motivated as codemonkey shows up.

Though, yeah I blame people who complains about RCX developing speed without being programmers themselves. This is like complaining about the crisis without giving a solution, and just saying "This should not be like this" "OK, so why should be changed ?" "I don't know, but the crisis should be ended".

But these complains are unavoidable. Especially since codemonkey showed up with Redux and Extreme : people must think : "if he was so fast to release Redux and Extreme, why is RCX going so slow ?" ; but in this case, what people are not aware of is that the 3D models are already here, so he "just" has to do the coding (the "just" does not mean that it's little ; this is actually huge to do in one's free time ; but if he had 3D models to do as well, it would be impossible).

I personally still believe in Recaged or RCX, the only issue is time

PS : please note that it's 3 am and I may have written some illogical things

I've been thinking about what to write here for a long time, and trust me what you wrote is far more logical than what's about to come. I really have procrastinated the reply for far too long, and you deserve a proper explanation...

In retrospect that signature probably seemed like I was bashing people for not spending all their spare time on rcx. I regret how I worded that, I really did not mean to say that I think more people should devote time and energy on rcx. It was more a spur of the moment thing appearing in the end after seeing some random people mentioning recaged on the internet (you know: I don't like it because it's not similar enough to the original games/being developed too slowly).

And it was especially not meant about you: Hanging out on the forum, cheering on and suggesting ideas is about the most helpful thing someone could do. If it wasn't for Mac I'd have abandoned this project years ago, and I really appreciate having you around with your suggestions for how to improve the project. I really did not mean to sound like I was in any way disappointed or something, but looking back at the time when I wrote that it must have seemed like I was actually flaming you. Sorry for that.

What I was more thinking about when I begun writing it was something else, completely unrelated to RCX: The way people spend all their spare time and energy. Still, even with that in mind it of course must have appeared I was bashing everyone for not spending all their spare time on useful stuff in general (even if not rcx). But quite frankly it's the other way around: the fact that people don't use all their spare time efficiently makes me feel slightly better about myself.

I should probably explain that in a bit more detail...

*takes a short pause*

Phew...

So... this is not something I usually like to talk about. It's actually something I've never mentioned online before. I hope I can word it in a short and simple way: without going into too much detail, I was extremely sick when only a few months old. What it was? I have no idea, and nor does anyone else. But the symptoms were very extreme, unusual and most of the time quite deadly (I'm probably only one of a handful people in Sweden who have ever gotten this extreme level of symptoms documented and even survived. And most people I suspect have probably died a painful death without anyone ever knowing what it was). It could have been MUCH WORSE, I'm still alive (now the choice of lyrics starts to make sense, doesn't it Wink ), but not without some very odd and permanent damages for the rest of my life...

I'm not going to go into much detail here - no it's not anything I'm ashamed of revealing, but rather just listing everything would take a lot of time and energy, and serve very little purpose - but you would not be able to find anything wrong with me if you met me in real life. That might sound nice, yes, but it also means most people would try to (instinctively) dismiss any problem I have. I would like to mention the biggest problems: I have very little energy, like I can't live a full normal day because I get too tired to quickly. I also got a pretty crappy memory, but since I'm studying some pretty high level mathematics, I guess it can just be accepted with the "absent minded professor" flag. Wink

Quite frankly, there are a lot of things I could mention, but they are not as handicapping as fatigue. I mean I also got slightly crappy reaction time (which explains why I almost always play Engie-Medic-Pyro in TF2... oh, and huntsman sniper Laugh  Really, I like it when I can play by trying to predict what someone is going to do, sometimes before that person knows it him/herself). But just to amuse you, I will mention one more thing: Ever heard of visual snow? (and yes, I got a bunch of other things, like tinnitus making the experience even more interesting). It's a pretty unusual thing, and I had to find out what it was called myself because, as usual, no one in the healthcare would understand what I'm talking about - everything I see if flickering like an old tv with bad reception, yeah of course it just gets dismissed.

It might seem like I would be really depressed by all this, but somehow I'm a pretty positive and cheerful person (is it wrong to describe oneself like that?). Probably the bad memory saving me from remembering how bad life can be. But really, I despise some parts of the healthcare. I mean the people around doing the actual work (nurses, machine operators) can do their good job, but the people responsible for the actual thinking can sometimes make you loose all hope you had for humanity. And that was not an exaggerated expression.

I will admit some of them can be be surprisingly good (at least when it come to more common things), but sometimes I really feel like I'm in some weird inverted episode of House: no one can do anything, except working their asses of to avoid having to work or take responsibility. Just add much more schemes, conspiracies (people actually teaming up to watch each others backs so they can just disregard anything they don't understand), and one or another "expert" being completely... lets just say people are very good at claiming they are so good and competent, and never have to take responsibility for their shear stupidity and ignorance. You know what, I can't even find the right words. Actually I need to rest a bit before continuing this post. McCoy: What is this, the Dark Ages?

Okay.

So yeah, I got a lot of weird damages (and new stuff suddenly appearing from time to time - if you're thinking it could be results of small strokes or thromboses in the brain you are probably parsecs ahead in understanding this than any actual "expert" in the healthcare), which means I'm pretty limited in what I can do and experience in a day. But I'm pretty happy nonetheless (lets just call that braindamage, shall we? Wink ). But there are a few things that can get me upset: The incompetence of the healthcare, and the way people seem to think everything is a-okay. Quite frankly that's the most infuriating thing: Most people walk around in their illusion of the society actually working, completely unaware of how corrupted and incompetent vital parts of the healthcare is. And trust me, most people would instinctively dismiss me if I were to try to explain my problems. No, trust me I feel I know humans way better than the average person would after a whole life. How was that now again... ah here (copied&pasted):

I know because I’m dead - and it gives one such a wonderfully uncluttered perspective. Oh-ummm, we have a saying up here: “life is wasted on the living”

People love to pretend that humans are so sympathetic and can understand when someone else is suffering, but it's just a lie we tell each others. Guy in a wheelchair? Everyone got sympathies because they can imagine themselves there. Me? That just makes me laugh (and I'm not in a wheelchair, so forget I even said that). But when someone is too tired to study or work for a full day, he's just lazy. Someone who can't remember everything? Nah, he's ignorant. And when he's slow or got slow reactions and doesn't move out of your way in a millisecond? Then he's stupid or a jerk or something.

Don't get me wrong, things could be way worse (full body paralysis?), but really I feel trapped in a damaged body and I feel like I've been through enough for a lifetime, and still got most of my life left to somehow struggle though. And just to mention one thing: foreign beggars outside shops (a reasonably recent phenomenon in Sweden, apparently they are transported here as a business... they even pretend not to be able to walk - during the day...Eyebrow). Trust me, if you'd been through the same as me (and still be alive) you wouldn't care a dime about those healthy people who are able to sit there and tell you how awful they have it. I know it sounds harsh. And trust me, I am a very sympathetic and caring person. But if someone who's fully healthy starts complaining about life, then why should I care? If someone were to break a leg or something I'd be the first person to help at that moment, but if someone's life is difficult, then I have no reason to care about someone who wouldn't care about my life. Oh lord I kinda regret writing this part, but I think I'll just leave it like this to hopefully show how hard I think life can be. Worst case I will sound like a proper jerk, but I succeeded doing that with my signature already, right?

So really, this signature was not about you. To be honest: I don't care about people helping or not with rcx, nor that they waste their limited lives on pointless tv and games... I just don't care. But the fact that you are able to study full speed, and then got enough energy for astronomy, dancing, etc And people like Codemonkey being able to pretty much rewrite rollcage on what (I hope Tongue ) is his spare time... That's something that somewhat irritates me. I'm sorry, but I wanted to be honest about it (it's just my daily: "how do you got so much energy to do that?!?!?! Oh right, you're a normal undamaged human... oh, and I'm the odd one). I envy the people able to live full and complete lives, and also somewhat despise those who are too ignorant or intentionally choosing to not know much pain and suffer that really can exist. But please don't think I hate anyone, or you, about this. What this is just me discovering the fundamental hard-coded psycology of humans (just want to have a good life and ignore the bad things and things hard to understand). The only thing I really hate is my own handicaps. Doctors and normal people are just stupid as usual, no big surprise.

I guess this doesn't make "too tired" sound like a lame excuse, but after finishing an exam a few weeks ago I haven't felt I have the energy to even post on the forum. I thought I'd recover in a few days but I guess I'm still... too tired Undecided

I was planing on joining the online race tonight (when writing this), but to be honest, I think I should just rest after this writing exercise. According to "uptime," writing this has taking me about two hours. Oh lord.

Oh and just to end this with some laughs (and tie back to the original thread subject): Seems my article isn't the only one to possibly get removed (Arhur Dent: "But I'm quite interested in layer cake")... Big Grin

Some other random good news: I got loads of things almost finished (which has been waiting for months now), so hopefully I'll be able to make some more active announcements regarding rcx/recaged: idxtool, texture preview, namechange, new test track, alpha release of 0.8.0... come to think of it, this always seems to be the case: I got some big update almost done, but then end up not having enough energy to finish it and it gets delayed by months. It's a miracle I was able to get the texture support working after only a few days.

I've also been able to work on a triangle mesh partitioning algorithm (gotta do something when too tired, right? finding a way of comparing the "size" of 3D vs 2D shapes was fun), but made both good and bad discoveries with ode's mesh collision today. Apparently it performs some kind of hashing (or spatial partitioning) of the triangles automatically. I knew it did some preprocessing, but I'd never have guessed this. Good: simulation is already at peak performance (until switching to Bullet), Bad: I thought there would be more performance left to squeeze out... At least partitioning could be used to optimize bounding boxes and definitely still necessary for rendering optimizations in the future. But at least there's not hurry with this anymore (I'll just sum it up in the wiki once I start working on it Wink  ).
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Visual snow.

... Huh, I have that too.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
... seriously? May I ask how long you've got it and when you found out what it was called? There's no reason, I'm just interested.

Also, it's been a while. How are you? Smile
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Since birth. I have deformed optic nerves (so my eyes are constantly involuntarily moving), as well as short-sightedness, nystagmus, extreme photosensitivity and ... well, this.

And ... since you mentioned it? I always thought the 'noise' was normal. Never knew it was a thing or what the name was until you mentioned it. x3
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
I won't quote your message because it's too long Tongue

No problem mate, I knew it wasn't specifically about me (or just about me), I was just taking myself as an example of guy who has lots of things to do in life, and does not go drinking or partying everytime there's spare time.

But, I wanted to add that it doesn't mean I'm 100% of spare time working.. Maybe I spend like only 20% of my spare time working ? But that's the maximum for me. If I work more, I lose the lucidity I have, and I'm then completely unefficient.

Something I haven't also precised, is that I do not spend that much time studying Rolleyes
That's why I have plenty of time for the other clubs & associations. Or maybe that's the reverse : I spend a lot of time in clubs & assos, so in the end I don't have much time studying. I have no idea which way it goes to be honest :p

But what I know for sure is that I must be the one that have the highest mark/time_of_work ratio in the class. I do not work often, but when I do I'm very efficient. If I start to be not efficient, then I just stop and try again some days after.

But yeah, 2 very good examples of spare time being spent to something "not that useful" is nights and week-ends. I'm just unable to work during the week-end, as well as I'm unable to work at night, unless there's a need to (and I think it's the case of many other students).

Still, you were right in the sense that some just go in parties and stuff, and doesn't work really much nor are interested in anything. They don't know what to do in their life outside of watching TV and other stuff like that. Unfortunately, I know some who are in that case. Especially someone that used to be fan of WoW, and stopped studies because he wasn't interested in ; now he stopped playing WoW, but he plays Diablo 3 instead, he's 22 and he still live in his parents' house, he doesn't have any job and it's unlikely he will some day because he's far from the reality. And he's not at all a geek (he has no interest in knowing how computers work), so unless he manages to have some income with the game he plays, I have no idea what he will do later.

I also know one for which it's almost the same, but you replace Diablo 3 by TV + Facebook. I don't know which one is worst.

Of course I'm not saying they are doomed etc.., but if they continue like this without changing their life, yes they are.

So it was just to say that you have more possibilities than them in life. And in a sense you can feel yourself lucky to have the medical problem you have, because then you feel the need to do something useful in your life, and you appreciate every free hour you have ; because for you, having a free hour is not something normal and you feel you have to take advantage of it, while a random guy will just take it as another free hour.

Talking of medical problems, I have sometimes Ocular Migraines, this is another funny thing Wink (First, vision trouble, as if you would have looked the sun straight in the eye : I see a blank spot in the center. Then this blank spot moves progressively to the edges, making me unable to see at 180°. And finally, after like 30 min., I recover my vision, but then I have the headache which is way longer and hurts) (fortunately, it does not happen to me often. Last time it happened was more than 2 months ago)
Carpe diem? Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Regarding people doing nothing with their time: I actually think society might be putting too little pressure on some people. It might seem nice to be able to do anything one wants, but without having to finish some work first it starts feeling empty. And without any sense of achievement, I guess that could also explain why so many people are depressed these days. I don't know, but I think earlier generations mush be rotating at fairly high velocities in their grave by now...

And I don't really blame people for what they do with their time. I do watch tv a lot. Thanks to the wonder of streaming sites and xbmc, at least I've been able to see some classics. I can't believe Casablanca isn't on tv so much these days, it's pretty nice (especially compared to the modern hollywood rubbish that gets aired instead). Oh, I did watch Les Visiteurs. Quite interesting, and I did recognize that guy from Wasabi ("Jean Reno" if I read wikipedia right).

Hmm... The League Of Extraordinarily Sick Rollcagers. Has a kind of ring and duality to it? Laugh

(2014-12-07, 09:52 PM)K.Mac Wrote: Since birth. I have deformed optic nerves (so my eyes are constantly involuntarily moving), as well as short-sightedness, nystagmus, extreme photosensitivity and ... well, this.

And ... since you mentioned it? I always thought the 'noise' was normal. Never knew it was a thing or what the name was until you mentioned it. x3
I see.

... dear lord.

No pun intended when I wrote that.

I too assumed it was normal - after all, being used to something for as long as one can remember, usually one assumes it's normal, or doesn't even notice it in the first place. I only found out when randomly searching (something like "small blinking dots"). Found a description and gif which seemed identical (only the dots are much smaller for me, but the eye resolution is higher than a screen anyway). Interestingly there seem to be two main causes: damages on the actual vision organs/nerves and abnormality in the brain (a recent - and one of the first - studies of this used a PET scanner and found weird activity in certain central parts of the brain of all subjects). Can also be caused by OD of hallucinogenics. But yeah, I don't complain. It's just some curious static. I find the tinnitus to be much more annoying. Well, it used to be less but it has increased recently (I highly suspect this is also some brain in the damage).

I feel like there was something more I was going to write. But I'm short on time. Actually I started writing the following before the above:

Random: I managed to have some more look at the whole mesh partitioning stuff I've been spending too much thought on. First of all, seems clock() wasn't so good for benchmarking on modern cpus... frequency scaling (by load, to reduce power consumption) ends up messing with the supposed processing time numbers, so my measurements were completely unreliable. I actually went and made a clean debian install on a spare pc (assembled out of spare/unused parts) only to realize it had the same frequency scaling. Eventually I realized the obvious solution and used cpufreq-set to change governors for all cores to "performance" and I think I got more reliable numbers from that. For anyone interesting, here's my assumptions/conclusions about mesh collision detection in ODE (OPCODE):
  • Hashing/spatial partitioning/"fast-near-collision-detection" is performed, making any actual mesh splitting for higher-level hash space culling redundant. (With the possible exception of optimizing bounding boxes for very spread terrain, but I'm not sure that would even gives any performance boost)
  • The number one thing affecting performance is the number of triangles colliding/almost colliding. So very dense collections of triangles is the major bottleneck for terrain design. In other words: Codie's Sandbox can not be optimized in any other way than to scale it up! The bigger it is, the less performance it takes. Scale it twice as big and get about halved processing needed for collision detection (because the number of triangles each car collides with will be about half as many).
  • Performing mesh partitioning does not yield any performance boost, but rather the opposite (slightly worse performance, by introducing extra processing for each mesh geom).
  • The total number of triangles also seem to eat a little performance (most likely the internal "hashing" in OPCODE gets updated at every step, even for static meshes).
  • Instead of splitting, doing the opposite and simply merge all meshes into one big gives a small performance boost.
  • However merging all meshes (at least when repeated) increases the RAM usage and load time.
  • It might seem lazy, but keeping thing the way they are (each model gets its own mesh) seems to be the best solution: repeated models doesn't eat more RAM, large models doesn't yield any extra performance penalty.
  • When switching to Bullet, I will re-evaluate this. I read a suggestion somewhere to "batch together" all static meshes into a certain kind of class, so if it yields a significant performance boost I will probably add support for that (should be piece of cake compared to splitting meshes).
  • I still need to consider merging&splitting the mesh for rendering. I got some ideas here - it's easy to change my rendering code to allow rendering of parts of models (without splitting them), as long as the triangles (for each material) are sorted by each piece (which could be done when generating the rendering mesh). Need to benchmark to see how viable it is, also figure out a new mesh partitioning algorithm more suitable for rendering.
  • One last thing: the biggest performance boost for Codie's Sandbox (and any other terrain not containing overlapping triangles) would be to use a heightmap instead of an actual mesh...
Oh, one good thing about the debian install experiment, though, was that I got around to try some different desktop environments. So now I'm considering switching from awesome to i3, and changing environment from xfce to lxde or MATE. Not sure yet...

And finally: I'll be gone for a few days, but it's not like anyone will notice any difference. Tongue

Well, bye for now!

Classic Swedish xmas song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3kMTZwSQ8
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
(2014-12-12, 11:05 AM)Slinger Wrote: Oh, I did watch Les Visiteurs. Quite interesting, and I did recognize that guy from Wasabi ("Jean Reno" if I read wikipedia right).
Les Visiteurs is a very funny french film Smile Especially in the french version, because they use pseudo middle-age language and that makes it really funny (like instead of saying "je pisse" which means "I'm peeing", he says "Je pissoie messire !" which is a kind of middle age equivalent, because in middle age every verbs are in "oie" or almost).

My funniest scene from this film, is when they are having dinner and they start to sing this song (talking about the guy who owns the castle) :

Et on lui pèlera le jonc comme au baillis du Limousin... Qu'on a pendu un bon matin.. Qu'on a pendu !!! Avec ses tripes !
We will peel him the cane like we did to the Limousin's bailli.. The one we hanged one morning.. The one we hanged ! With his tripes !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URl0PmKqyQ