Rollcage Redux
Heart 
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcag...465828428/

Thanks to the likes of Dups and Potterman's recent involvement with the Rollcage games, they managed to track down one of the original Psygnosis developers (with the aid of Stu, apparently, who was once a poster on gorcx.net) who has taken on the task of rebuilding and improving the Rollcage games to play well on modern computers, to fix outstanding bugs (such as choppy frame rates and graphics glitches), and to implement new features if possible.

Hereto named Rollcage Redux, and hereafter referred to as Rollcage Redux. Rob is starting with the original game first, but plans to add new features and fixes for Stage II once he's satisfied with Rollcage 1 - such as implementing Rollcage 1's handling into Stage II, which should make it a lot more fun to play :-)

I understand that not everybody likes Steam and I wanted to get as much coverage on this as possible (as well as keeping a concise changelist of everything that's been done and what I've seen being implemented and considered for future updates). Also there wasn't really a 'Rollcage Redux' discussion thread, so this will do.

I won't add a download link just yet, I want to make sure that it's okay for me to post it here before I do so but I assume it'll be fine.

Rollcage Redux

Current Change Notes

v1.1.7 (23rd August 2014
  • Updates to the new MP3/OGG player. In-game music volume and shuffle now works as intended. Music also fades out before a race begins.
  • Fixed input bug with some polled devices not returning state information.
  • Direct3D surfaces are now restored after being lost, fix for Alt-Tab.
  • Night-time brightness has been made a little lighter due to visibility issues when playing levels at Dusk.

v1.1.6 (22nd August 2014
  • New MP3/OGG music player. The game's original CD music has been converted into .ogg format and added to the game for those who have lost the original game CDs.
  • Debugging build added for initial networking problem testing.
  • Time-warp and ice-sheet texture options removed - always enabled now to prevent 'white-screen' problems.

About the new music player - "This method of music playing uses mp3 or ogg files, bound together using a m3u file. You can formulate your own playlist if you wish however, and place it in the "My Documents\Rollcage Redux\Music Tracks" folder on your system. Just throw your music files in there and create a playlist called Music.m3u and this will be used in place of the stock music that ships with the installer."
Yes, this means you can play the PSX soundtrack if you want. Big Grin

v1.1.5 (8th August 2014)
  • The emasculation of Yuri, hurrah! First steps taken on balancing/nerfing Yuri to enable other cars to be more competitive against him. Acceleration has been nerfed to be on-par with Tony's. Top speed is slightly higher than Lenny's. Strength and Grip haven't been changed.
  • A new 'frozen screen' graphic for players being attacked by the Ice Sheet weapon
  • Improved backwards-firing for Ice Sheet weapon. The code for firing backwards apparently checked if the car was turning, and wouldn't fire if it was. This has been fixed.
  • Randomised starting positions for Arcade games. This allows you to start in alternate positions on the Harpoon Island tracks and the bonus tracks. League races are unaffected.
  • More flexible memory management for future enhancements.
  • Changes to code so the program now reloads itself properly upon returning to the menus.

v1.1.4 (6th August 2014)
  • More loading screens, incorporating concept renders of the game worlds and cars.
  • Improved weather effects - more rain and snow when it's raining and snowing, amongst other smaller changes such as ensuring weather effects stray across the full screen and not just a 4:3 portion.
  • Modifications and updates for the rendering engine, including the finishing touches to the DirectX7 upgrade and the triangle rendering pipeline.

v1.1.3 (5th August 2014)
  • A rendering bug caused by using the Time Warp weapon with the rear-view mirror enabled is fixed.
  • Controller axis mappings fixed, removing problems remaining from the original games/caused by patches such as steering being mapped to the right analog stick, having to press left/right to scroll up/down in menus, etc.
  • Corrected the camera's field-of-view for widescreen displays. Previously it was giving you a smaller field-of-view on a widescreen display because it was cropping the FOV to keep to 4:3. Now it does it properly.
  • HUD text filtering updated. HUD isn't filtered at high resolutions, and is filtered at lower resolutions. The end result is a nicer-looking HUD overall.
  • Updates to game's timing loop to be more CPU efficient.

v1.1.2 (3rd August 2014)
  • Improved the Time Warp weapon visuals to be closer to Stage II's weapon visuals.
  • Improvements on Z-buffer setup to help combat graphics problems on some systems.
  • Car shadow rendering improved.
  • Triangle batching performance for the D3D renderer improved.
  • Added a generalised bitmap loaded for high-colour textures.

v1.1.1 (2nd August 2014)
  • Improved the blending characteristics of many of the rendering effects and for the HUD.
  • Improved the effects of explosions, to make them more explosion-y.
  • Fixed the brightness of mud and grass debris to stop it becoming neon-coloured.
  • Restored the IAMALAZYBASTARD Debug Menu cheat back into the game. For some reason this was removed from the P3 build.
  • Fixed loading screens to maintain the correct aspect ratio.
  • Many underlying changes, fixes and cleanup to the game's underlying code, such as replacing some sensitive assembly routines with C code and in general making sure it plays nicer for everyone.

v1.1.0 (original release) (31st July 2014)
  • Fixed a rendering clipping bug that caused odd pixels on top and left edges of the screen.
  • Initial modifications to fix incorrect axis mappings in-game, so Xbox 360 controllers play ball with the game.
  • Swapped from Fullscreen mode to a Full Windowed mode, which helps smooth out the general display of the game and also enables Alt-Tabbing in and out of the game without any problems.
  • Added a 'Display Page Flipping' rendering mode, which may improve the smoothness of the game on some computers. Try this only if the default options are causing inconsistent or choppy frame rates in-game.
  • Frame timing code updated to improve and provide a smoother frame rate. Really, on an i7 there should never be any frame drops on a 15-year-old game, amirite? =D
  • Switched on SSE2 support for compiling.
  • Input controllers (joypads) now correctly regain focus when the game receives focus.
  • Registry settings changes so the game stores its settings in a section not protected by Windows. This means you don't have to Run As Administrator to be able to save progress.
  • Replay files now stored in a location not protected by Windows. It was apparently causing some issues.
  • Added 32-bit texture support for full-colour quality.
  • Default graphics settings updated, because it's not 1999 any more guys, and if you have to play the game on minimum settings you should be doing it only to be ironic.
  • Removed Z-buffering option (it's always on by default and is required for rendering the P3 game models properly).
  • Removed Triple Buffering option (it's not used in a Windowed environment).
  • Removed rear-view mirror for split-screen games. Just gotta Screencheat haha.
  • Removed procedural animation in the shield - it will be improved later.
  • Pre-rendered movies have been removed as they were causing too many issues.
  • Removal of a lot of redundant computing, rendering and compiling code and routines, such as SMID and 3DNow! and replaced some important code with C code to allow for better enhancements in future updates.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
Thanks for posting this, and thanks for asking about links. I take it you are aware of my dilemma here. Smile

Obviously I want people to find rollcage->recaged/rcx and not the other way around. But since the people reading this are most likely already aware of rollcage, I think it's safe to say this doesn't do any harm. On the contrary these updates are finally making rollcage run Good in wine (instead of running okay-but-a-bit-too-slow), so it'll just help the migration from windows (to quote RMS: "However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows."). So post the links! You might want to add a note about it being non-free, like: <LINK> (note: this is a proprietary game). Or similar.

Quite frankly I'm more concerned with the spread of steam. Seriously, I need to get everyone to start using xmpp and mumble... Wink
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
Rob said on the Steam group that he doesn't feel comfortable openly distributing the Redux build until he feels it's in a properly finished state. Not that he's scared of it or anything, he'd just prefer that when it's made more publicly available that it's the 'finished and improved' version.

Download links will have to wait until he seems it finished. It can still be downloaded from the Steam group though for anyone interested in trying it, testing and providing feedback.

Also he's confirmed why the PC version has different music to the PSX version. Licensing issues. Whoo. On the other hand I'll try and upload some Youtube videos highlighting the changes at some point, as well as lots and lots of races.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
hmmm... since he's now even distributing the music... maybe he could tell us if we can CC license it and use it? Wink

yeah, never gonna happen... Undecided

On the other hand I'm not sure the music is good enough anyway. Why don't he just distribute the psx soundtrack? Technically it's no worse than what he's doing already. Okay yes I know, record labels are more likely to pick it up than sony noticing someone redistributing an old game (with/without modification).

edit: This reminds me, someone (who also has registered on the forum) sent me a music demo for use in the rcx soundtrack. That also reminds me I need to ask zero bin0pse if he's still working on music for the project. 0.7.2 will have textures, and music to, if tracks starts appearing...
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
(2014-08-09, 09:53 AM)K.Mac Wrote: Thanks to the likes of Dups and Potterman's recent involvement with the Rollcage games, they managed to track down one of the original Psygnosis developers

There's also unreal who helped a lot by tracking down on internet where did everyone go. What i just did is sent emails to the companies that have old psygnosis members in them, and well I got lucky Wink

Slinger Wrote:Quite frankly I'm more concerned with the spread of steam. Seriously, I need to get everyone to start using xmpp and mumble...

I've been thinking of this, and yes it would be more reliable to rely on non proprietary platforms. But, the group would then lose a lot of visibility. Also, it's much easier for newbies to use for example the steam voice chat rather than having to install mumble, set up a server name etc.. It's more newby friendly.

If we were all geeks, then yeah go full mumble and xmpp would be fine.

Technically speaking, it works as long as there are not too many people on the voice chat ; maybe in the future we would migrate to mumble because you can have several rooms and such. We'll see that when there will be a lot more members Smile
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
It's still great that you did, I know most people (including me, especially) would just assume they would never bother to reply.

I also agree with the choice of steam: Most people will be running this proprietary game on a proprietary os. And adding steam to the equation isn't really making the problem bigger. I more thinking about what gets made public on the forum (and thus the website).

The thing that's making me feel a bit uneasy about all this (while at the same time really exited) is that he turned out to make this a bigger project than just brushing of the old code. He's actively remaking part of both games, and possibly merging them together. I just don't know what's his goal with this. I assume he got a job, I assume he's working on something else. Is he planing on using this as a PR stunt to advertise some new proprietary game? Or is he simply just a god?

Worst case scenario I guess the "the others" section would be a good place to hid all this. Big Grin I just don't want to cause a recaged (free software)->forum->steam group (advertising non free)->redux/extreme/black box (non free) -> new non-free game path for innocent visitors. Not really because I'm a FS supporter (as I'm also a hypocrite), but mostly because I'm trying to advertise rcx as free software, and even getting free hosting (minus domain name) because it's FS. I'm just afraid of things back-firing badly for me. Otherwise I'd also been completely for the forum merging idea. Angel

The other thing that bothers me is the secret source code... Well, I'm not going to make a big deal of this, but you know how I'm thinking (after seeing the prince of persia source being rescued from certain loss).Tongue

Speaking of forums: I noticed MyBB 1.8 has been released. This is a pretty big update. So if the forum goes down in a few days and doesn't come up right again, it means I've screwed up. Wink

Update: Okay, the update went fine. But the decoration (css) and layouts are all messed up. I'm too tired to fix it tonight, but If it drives anyone insane go to your profile and change theme from "Use Default" (or "Sky") to "Default", so get the default mybb theme. Which looks pretty good btw.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
(2014-09-02, 06:46 PM)potterman28wxcv Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 09:53 AM)K.Mac Wrote: Thanks to the likes of Dups and Potterman's recent involvement with the Rollcage games, they managed to track down one of the original Psygnosis developers

There's also unreal who helped a lot by tracking down on internet where did everyone go. What i just did is sent emails to the companies that have old psygnosis members in them, and well I got lucky Wink

Slinger Wrote:Quite frankly I'm more concerned with the spread of steam. Seriously, I need to get everyone to start using xmpp and mumble...

I've been thinking of this, and yes it would be more reliable to rely on non proprietary platforms. But, the group would then lose a lot of visibility. Also, it's much easier for newbies to use for example the steam voice chat rather than having to install mumble, set up a server name etc.. It's more newby friendly.

If we were all geeks, then yeah go full mumble and xmpp would be fine.

Technically speaking, it works as long as there are not too many people on the voice chat ; maybe in the future we would migrate to mumble because you can have several rooms and such. We'll see that when there will be a lot more members Smile

I was part of a gaming clan in World of Tank for 2 years that for a long time used Mumble, we stopped using Mumble due to several issues along the way caused by Mumble itself.
If anything has proven it's worth for me in almost every online game I play, it has to be Teamspeak...