Mozilla... Sell-outs!
The crazy idea of putting DRM into the html5 standard is probably quite well known already... In short: We need to lock down the thriving open ecosystem that is the internet, because big media industries say they wont make their movies available on the internet otherwise... Yeah, that's exactly what the web needs: Passive, locked down entertainment, not open communication and creativity! Sad Well, seems both music and ebook industries have accepted that drm isn't going to work, so if movies are that important why not just keep pressuring movie industry so they will realize the same? But Noooo... The W3C still caved in to hollywood... Great.

Of course companies like microshot and craple were more than happy to oblige, leaving mozilla with the last big browser refusing to implement this insanity. And now they announced they are going to add support for this DRM to firefox... Seriously?

Well, at least a lot of people are upset by this...
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
But ... my Youtube videos!!

(( and actually, I rely on copy/pasting and saving stuff a lot ... if that stuff gets blocked? uncool bro, uncool. ))
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
In short: Yes. The idea of drm is to prevent all usage except for what the... owner explicitly permits. And that includes the right-click menu and especially any kind of downloading. It's called Digital Restriction Management for a reason. Wink

As for youtube, I doubt they'd implement it by their own will. But given how much commercial music and video is up there... I'm fairly sure they won't be given much of a choice.

From a technical side, what mozilla has implemented is not the drm itself. That's a stand-alone proprietary program, which gets downloaded automatically from adobe (similar to flash). And it then handles the downloading and (temporary) decrypting (like flash). And it does not obey your commands, but only those of adobe and (partially, through adobe) the people distributing the media. Again, it's the "OMG piracy!" argument: Since John DOe can't save his low-quality streamed video, no one (on the entire internets) would be able to upload a high quality rip to tpb, right? Right? Of course it's more about control, but communiststerroristsprates are good scapegoats.

The big problem here is that this drm system has been made part of the html5 standard (thanks w3c!), despite major protests. When big companies controls everything of course no one cares about the tiny people. Ie and mac-browser-whatever-it's-called had this implemented long ago, And Firefox was the last big browser out there that had some principles, stood up for them and against the insanity. But they finally gave after. And now this is going to send the wrong signals to the big media industry: Forget failing with music and ebooks! drm is back in business, ready to be misused at you leisure again.

Now it's only matter of time until the web becomes the locked down nightmare we're only starting to taste. It's already begun with music and video, but it's going to extend... I'm even starting to think flash might have been less of a problem to what's coming. Of course, sites like recaged.net (and many others) wont have any of this. But it's still going to cause a big uptake of user-blocking (I guess newspapers will love this!).

(Oh lord I managed to Ctrl+Q what I had written... again! Okay that's it! I'm enabling the child-safe exit dialogue!)

(Somewhat relevant to drm: http://offliberty.com/ - since I don't have flash, and prefer to listen on my music player while studying, this is a very compelling solution to all those soundmixfmpublishingwhatever sites)
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
That's a pain W3C has to support that. W3C is supposed to control the quality of webpages, that means the design HTML by itself. Like the Night Watch, it's supposed not to take part in that kind of thing. Really, it's silly. When the economic strategies become standards..
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
Very good summary. Who knows, maybe a new (unofficial) W3Cv2 will be created from this controversy?

Ironically I can't help feeling mozilla should get rid of their new CEO, again. :p
Try systemd. They said.

Code: