Religious Extremists Ruining EVERYTHING!
Title says what it is, and before anyone rants at me for being an atheist, I'm actually Christian, so...

Your argument is invalid Tongue

But that's besides the point. My point here is that religious extremists - people who blow EVERYTHING out of proportion "in the name of [their] LORD" - seem to ruin EVERYTHING!

Here's an example: Landover Baptist Forums

I'm sorry, but LOOK AT ALL THE HATE! They ranked on everything and everyone: Muslims, gays, even the mentally ill (saying Down Syndrome is a "lifestyle choice")! If this is how we're represented, then I am officially ashamed of being a catholic.
Needs more rice...
Just found this thread on the landover baptist forum : http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthrea...39&t=52617

This guy is arguing that none should play TF2 because it's full of violence, homosexuality, etc.. He even banned his son from seeing his friends, because his friends were playing TF2... It's a shame.

I agree with you on that point : religion can be dangerous.

But you know.. Sometimes it's necessary. I mean, some religions like christianism bring a sense of "this is good" or "this is bad", and when it comes to "You shall not kill your brother", well I find it useful. Basically, before, people would think twice before doing something bad, because they were sure they would go in Hell. Now, some people just doesn't care making profits, and hurting others.

Also, when you have lost everything, and when you can't believe in anything anymore, it may help people to believe in God(s), so they have a kind of "virtual" friend who listens to them.

In my opinion, we all have to believe in something. I personnaly don't believe in any Gods, but I believe that everything who has to happen will happen. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that there is a logical scheme that can't be broken, so there is no need to hurry to get something : when the time will come, you will get it. If I didn't have this belief, I think I wouldn't be stable because I wouldn't stop asking me questions about why things are happening.

I mean, you can't understand everything in this world. And for the things you don't understand, you have to suppose them true, and to suppose them true, you have to believe in something.

So I think that the religion isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as everyone is free to choose his religion. But when it comes to force someone to believe something.. Then it becomes dangerous. If this thing we are teaching him is about not respecting a group of people, then it's even more dangerous.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
The only side effect of being an atheist is seeing how the society's getting dumber and dumber.
Well, surely the number of atheists increases every year, but it's not fast enough to stop the religious society from doing very, very silly things.

example
not advertising, but this guy's pretty hilrious

Just generalizing, btw. Obviously there are religious people who know how to separate religion from... umm... life? I guess. My dad's a religious man and yet, he's cool with me being an atheist and just does not brag about religion on every single conversation.
(2014-04-28, 11:32 AM)potterman28wxcv Wrote: But you know.. Sometimes it's necessary. I mean, some religions like christianism bring a sense of "this is good" or "this is bad", and when it comes to "You shall not kill your brother", well I find it useful. Basically, before, people would think twice before doing something bad, because they were sure they would go in Hell. Now, some people just doesn't care making profits, and hurting others.

Also, when you have lost everything, and when you can't believe in anything anymore, it may help people to believe in God(s), so they have a kind of "virtual" friend who listens to them.

Actually, that was the point I was kinda trying to pass on; religion is good, I agree, unless it's used as an excuse to harass and criticize life.

On a side note, have you guys seen their Muslim emoticon? It's some Middle-Eastern characters w/ terrorists being bombed. To that, I say: Sad.
Needs more rice...
As a fellow atheist and observer of our progress to idiocracy, I must say I'm glad to see more people with a similar view on things.

And for a subject worthy of a rant, you've hit the motherload! My suggestion for dealing with the site you linked to is really just to ignore it. I'm not even going to worthy that server a GET request by visiting it, but my guess is: It's a place by and for a very special group of very failed people. Failed in many ways. Most likely a bunch of people from the world's biggest oligarchy and self-declared world police, who classify a person as either one of them, or a terrorist-scientist-communist-satanic-homosexual.

(On the other hand, if there are enough people over there to actually do real damage, then we have a real problem and it should be taken care of. But I have no idea how...)

Anyway, this is really just one of many worrying trends... I could start writing a wall of text going on about pretty much everything, but I guess I should avoid it (if anything to avoid triggering some nsa/fra terrorist keyword search and get tied to a chair in an Egyptian-territorry-in-a-container-placed-in-a-us-territory-in-a-hangar-placed-in-Guantanamo). So in short: Humans are morons.

There are several kind of morons: The large group of... Sheep. Who allow themselves to be brainwashed and controlled in a "bread and circuses" fashion that would make the Roman leaders lyric. The "masses" got movies, tv, games and so on keeping them calm and ignorant.

Then the people who make decisions and aren't held responsible. This ranges from health care to politics. These people can be described with three words: Lazy. Incompetent. Cowards. There are many exceptions of course. There are lot of "good" people out there. And then there are those who are all of things above, and also corrupted.

As for religion and moral: I think moral stands on its own, otherwise we would still be amused by all the really bloody "entertainment" that can be found in various religious writings. I actually think we've improved here, but not due to religion but as a result of common sense. Or maybe our genetic degeneration (a few thousand years in the making) or poisoned food (the toxics added to the basic fruit and ingredients we all buy and eat is REALLY scary!) has somehow made us less violent - a possible side effect as we start to get so destroyed that we soon can't even think and survive any longer? Undecided

Oh, and don't think I'm in any way bashing people for their religions (or religions them selves) here, because that's not what I meant. Everyone loves Buddhism and I've heard lots of good words about Islam, for instance. But it's also in some ways a way of guiding people by controlling them. Take crustaceans for instance: Some religions forbids eating it, and it makes sense. There's no might god who forbids people from eating it, but by tricking people into thinking that is the case, they will be too scared to eat it, and due to the lack of refrigurators back when these religions were invented, it prevented a lot of food poisoning. In short, it's an easy way of controlling people (brainwash or scare them) in order to make them behave and keep them protected from themselves. If those goals justifies the means I'm not going to discuss here, I'll just leave it for each and everyone to decide for themselves.

Also, I'm fully open to the idea that some powerful alien(s) might might have some finger in the game of evolution or initial creation of life. But so far most evidence suggests the life we know is just created by electrical energy on the sea floor.

And Dups, don't worry about advertising videos. If anything, post more! That's a nice video and it kind of restores my hope for humanity. Although I still have my fingers crossed humanity will eventually manage to destroy itself. If not, I'm sure nature will do it for us - once we've depleted all resources and destroyed the environment. Tongue

Phew, I think I needed this. Big Grin Now then, all hail the pink unicorn with silver flecked wings! Big Grin
(... Did I finally snap and become a brony? O_o)
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
(2014-04-30, 04:21 PM)Slinger Wrote: As a fellow atheist and observer of our progress to idiocracy[...]

In case y'all didn't get it

(2014-04-30, 04:21 PM)Slinger Wrote: And Dups, don't worry about advertising videos. If anything, post more! That's a nice video and it kind of restores my hope for humanity.

Another fine film from the only true worshipers of the only God!

And here's another guy who ain't talking some bullcrap.
maybe relevant.

https://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/134333-...im-outcry/

Expect riots.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
(2014-05-02, 04:52 PM)K.Mac Wrote: maybe relevant.

Expect riots.

Since there is no safe way to escape from the Muslim religion, they're going to take over the world. I just don't understand how people don't notice how religions ruin our world. First, they took OUR BACON and now they're going to take OUR...
Oh, I forgot to write:
(2014-04-27, 12:16 PM)Endoman123 Wrote: [...]then I am officially ashamed of being a catholic.
I am officially ashamed of being a human. Tongue

Also when I wrote "people are stupid" I meant it in general, not everyone. Present company was not included of course.

Okay, Idiocracy. I only recently watched it, but it's just plain win. Of course it's absurd humour (personally I think we'll only get a bit more stupid and then we'll kill ourselves - with war or toxic or both), but it seems plausible that we have become genetically stupider over a long time now... (these day I'd not normally link to a slashdot page, but the summary is good)

(2014-05-01, 02:34 PM)Dups Wrote: Another fine film from the only true worshipers of the only God!

And here's another guy who ain't talking some bullcrap.
Oh you can't believe how much I laughed watching that trailer video! It's just brilliant! Wait a minute... Was that seriously a... ?... [visits imdb]... Okay. Now I'm genuinely worried. I actually thought that was a trailer for a parody on that kind of movies...Blush

Seriously someone should make a parody like that (unless plenty of them exist already), and see how popular it becomes. We can't be the only people who'd find it amusing... Wink

As for the second link: It's now an example of the typical use-dmca-threats-to-silence-inconvenient-opposition. Yes folks, that video has been taken down by some religios group. If it's a video disecting a stupid movie, then try get in contact with whoever made it and suggest filing a counterclaim (it's likely bogus takedown and violating fair use). Nostalgia Critic created a new website because he got fed up with takedowns on his videos (humoristic reviews of classic old movies).

And before I forget: Bible Math!

(2014-05-02, 04:52 PM)K.Mac Wrote: maybe relevant.

Expect riots.

Amazing. I did not know about this before. Seems they did this to prevent halal and non-halal being mixed and cooked (on the same grill). I guess this means subway was big with muslims, but their food was considered maybe-not being halal. Of course the whole do-not-eat-this is based on a sane goal: Prevent food poisoning. But these days it doesn't make sense. Still, I guess this means subway must've calculated that they would make more profit this way: Muslims will eat there and those who are upset by this will whine but just keep buying there anyway.

For some reason I just got thinking about a movie called Four Lions... O_o
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
I had to share that lol.
Oh that is just brilliant... Big Grin *claps*

I wish I had some crazy video to link to, this post feels empty. But I guess I've been just ignoring these religious stupidity so much I've just stopped noticing... Maybe it's the only way I've managed to stay sane? :p
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Funny story guys, apparently Landover Baptist Formus is a fake scam site...

But Purity Balls apparently isn't...
Needs more rice...