RC and RC2 early version screenies, videos or trailers
Hey there!

I'm curious to see how these games looked while they were still in early development stages. I have a hard time finding ANYTHING about Rollcage series on the web.
Do you guys know where to find any beta related stuff?
(2014-03-23, 09:51 PM)Dups Wrote: Hey there!

Hello, and welcome to the ReCaged Community! Seems you're new so get to know the forum and try out the development, meet the people, all that jazz Tongue

(2014-03-23, 09:51 PM)Dups Wrote: I'm curious to see how these games looked while they were still in early development stages. I have a hard time finding ANYTHING about Rollcage series on the web.
Do you guys know where to find any beta related stuff?

There was a link to an old commercial to RC2 when it was still called "Rollcage: Extreme"... Lemme do some searching...

umm....

ERRMMM....

UNNGGGGGHHHH.......

OK, found it: HERE!
Needs more rice...
Thanks!

Yeah, I've seen that trailer before. Does RC1 even have a trailer?
All I've ever found is this one:

Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
I was googling for a little bit. Here are my findings:

That's one weird poster I've never seen before.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hI-b7hbMhQ8/Tm...AN0011.JPG

Different HUD. Doesn't look like PSX or PC versions. Font is cool. The map is mirrored.
[Image: 301374-rollcage_017.jpg]
[Image: 1895874875.jpg]

No idea what's that one. All I can see is that it's a sand road and next to the ocean. THERE'S NO BORDER SEPARATING THE ROAD AND THE OCEAN! UNDERWATER RACES!
[Image: 1956269130.jpg]

Road Works map with different textures! It also seems a little moody. This is the curve right behind the start line.
[Image: 1921442960.jpg]

No idea what map is this.
[Image: 121817223.jpg]

AFAIK RC1 beta ran in 320x240 on psx instead of 640x480. Not really sure, I might be wrong.

I also found out that the original sequel name was Rollcage: Step II instead of Stage II. Yeah, I know. Step II sounds so awkward.
src: http://www.mobygames.com/game/rollcage/trivia
Ooooh, nice finds!

Interesting poster (reminds me of the "rollcage: extreme" trailer), and screenshots of early/abandoned tracks. That tunnel with snow looks fun!

The last image could be the last part of Eruption.
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
Actually, this is not snow in that tunnel. this is the tunnel from Daytona map. The second one on Harpoon Islands or the one at the beginning of Scorpio league. The funky lightning and blur makes it look like snow lol

edit: [Image: ZyzJuYr.jpg]
I cut this picture from the poster. It might look like Paradise at the beginning, but look how filled it is with buildings, palms, lamps and sings! Surely, this poster was made before the game came out. Just look at the beta HUD.
Nice, I never noticed that! Also that picture does remind me of the Intro video. Perhaps the video was based on an early version of the Paradise track?
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehd7vCd3zf8 - first 10 seconds
Maybe.

Were there any unused models or skins hidden in the files? Would check that myself if I knew how to extract that .img crap lol
I don't think so, they probably had to save as much space as possible. I remember Spontificus working on extracting the textures, and they seemed all to be used in the game. He never managed to convert the 3D models from what I know, but I guess it's unlikely to find unused models in the games. :/
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Okay, I came across this screenshot from early PSX version of RC2.
[Image: screen7.jpg]

Here's my little analysis:
[Image: fP3UFxe.png]

halp

edit: I just found this one:
[Image: 119889_full.jpg]
Early RC2 on PSX with RC1 PC HUD. There's some weird beta lightning and there's nothing in the ocean.
First one looks like OutWorld, that's all I can say. The wheels don't look like RC1 wheels to me, though they -might- be the Harpoon Islands rallycross ones.

And it's not Tony. Tony's car isn't as square as that. Given they already have the Taipan in at that point then it's probably the Panther or whatever it's called, or another of the beginner cars.
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
(2014-03-31, 03:43 PM)Dups Wrote: I was googling for a little bit. Here are my findings:

That's one weird poster I've never seen before.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hI-b7hbMhQ8/Tm...AN0011.JPG

Different HUD. Doesn't look like PSX or PC versions. Font is cool. The map is mirrored.
[Image: 301374-rollcage_017.jpg]
[Image: 1895874875.jpg]

No idea what's that one. All I can see is that it's a sand road and next to the ocean. THERE'S NO BORDER SEPARATING THE ROAD AND THE OCEAN! UNDERWATER RACES!
[Image: 1956269130.jpg]

Road Works map with different textures! It also seems a little moody. This is the curve right behind the start line.
[Image: 1921442960.jpg]

No idea what map is this.
[Image: 121817223.jpg]

AFAIK RC1 beta ran in 320x240 on psx instead of 640x480. Not really sure, I might be wrong.

I also found out that the original sequel name was Rollcage: Step II instead of Stage II. Yeah, I know. Step II sounds so awkward.
src: http://www.mobygames.com/game/rollcage/trivia

The PSX always ran at 320x240/256 depending on whether it was PAL or NTSC. There was no 640x480 version.

The original name for the sequel was in fact Rollcage Extreme. I think Step II was just a journalist mistranslating their notes when they wrote it up.

As a side-note, Rollcage wasn't even called Rollcage initially. The game that preceded Stage II was called G-Force Extreme, or G-FX, for most of its development.
(2014-08-10, 11:20 AM)codemonkey Wrote: The PSX always ran at 320x240/256 depending on whether it was PAL or NTSC. There was no 640x480 version.

The original name for the sequel was in fact Rollcage Extreme. I think Step II was just a journalist mistranslating their notes when they wrote it up.

As a side-note, Rollcage wasn't even called Rollcage initially. The game that preceded Stage II was called G-Force Extreme, or G-FX, for most of its development.

Do you have some early-pc-port-stuff in your top secret files?
Hey, codemonkey is visiting our little forum. Smile

So... "G-FX" - that's an interesting piece of information! I did not know that before.

Now lets just hope I can resist demanding the liberation of the source code... must not mention it... oh crap. Undecided
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
So somehow I got into some Arabic torrent site - don't even ask how - and stumbled upon this:
[Image: 2tAMS40.jpg]
Just a screenshot?

Looks like an early version of Road Works. (I actually recognise a lot of the earlier screenshots too.)
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
Oh I just love that cross-hair... Feels like it should make some aiming sound when locking on cars: *dirrrrr...beep* as it flickers over the screen.

I also would like to know if you found a screenshot or something more...
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Okay guys, I managed to find the site in my browser history - http://www.1sw1r.com/vb/t245314.html
I DON'T SPEAK ARABIC OKAY
Unfortunately links seem to be dead ; I doubt such a version has ever been released to public
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage