A Rollcage Stage 2 steam group
Hey everyone !

I've created a steam group for planning multiplayer games with Rollcage Stage 2 : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage

The purpose of this group is to have a place for players to meet, and plan a game. As RS2 has no multiplayer lobby, it will kinda replace it.

To play online, we'll need a software like Hamachi to connect the "LAN" to the Internet ; but I don't like Hamachi because it's really restrictive, and the connection isn't that great. So I propose using Tunngle : http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=de (i've already used that to play some Diablo 1 with people and it's a reliable software).

If you haven't any steam account, I suggest you create one, even if you don't have any steam game it's a cool platform ; it would be more complicated to make such a group without steam actually.

If you know people playing Rollcage Stage 2 tell them of the steam group, the more we will be, the more games there will be.
Imagine a race with 5 real players Thumbs Up

Regards, hopefully I'll see you again Wink

Some updates about this group :
This has been 5 months since I posted that ; since this time, the group has gone larger, and we now are able to have races with 6 players ! Big Grin
What is new now :
If you're nostalgic of the old Rollcage, just join us and have some fun Thumbs Up
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
In theory, this sound great to finally have a multiplayer available again, but i don't have Windows. Dodgy

*Sighs* i've been meaning to invest in Bootcamp. Best of both worlds eh? Tongue

I'll just have to wait, my bad. Confused
(2014-01-27, 02:05 AM)Tazeram Wrote: In theory, this sound great to finally have a multiplayer available again, but i don't have Windows. Dodgy

*Sighs* i've been meaning to invest in Bootcamp. Best of both worlds eh? Tongue

I'll just have to wait, my bad. Confused

About steam, i think there is a linux version. About Rollcage and Tunngle, you can try with Wine, never tested though.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
Okay, this thread is going sticky! Smile

First of all: I like this idea and I'll join the group. Would it be possible to extend it to include the original RollCage as well?

Quote:Imagine a race with 5 real players
... And with the original RC it will be 6 players. Wink

Secondly: Why use hamachi or tunngle? Rollcage 1&2 already got good internet support. One person has to host the game (and can select stuff like "high/low connection speed" and message distribution) and the rest just enter the ip of the host. I'd really like to know if there is any practical advantage of using a vpn connection instead of going straight over the internet.

Also, this motivates me to create a ReCaged steam group. I'm not going to advocate the steam platform (since it's proprietary), but I should at least reserve the group to avoid some random name-squatter from taking it. Big Grin

Now for this interesting tangent: Rollcage on Wine. I've tried this a lot before, and I can say the following: It works great! There are just two things to keep in mind:
1) Network play requires some feature in directplay.dll or similar that is not yet implemented (look in the terminal output and you will see). You just need to install directx and enable the specific dll instead of the built-in version.
2) Skysphere does not scale correctly in recent wine versions. This was a new problem last time I tried and it's probably fixed long ago, but the skysphere would move too fast (some parts of the track goes outside it). If it's still a problem, just use an older version of wine. But I remember seeing people involved with fixing wine bugs that specifically mentioned rollcage, so I think there are people motivated to keep wine running rollcage properly.

Regarding bootcamp: I'd suggest installing a real OS, like debian or fedora before windows. Wink
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
(2014-01-30, 07:15 PM)Slinger Wrote: Okay, this thread is going sticky!

Thanks a lot Thumbs Up

(2014-01-30, 07:15 PM)Slinger Wrote: Would it be possible to extend it to include the original RollCage as well?

Yes of course, we already did last night Wink
I wanted to rename the group to Rollcage Series Playing Group, but it's impossible to rename a group when it's created. So I've just added in the description that it's possible to play Rollcage 1 as well.

(2014-01-30, 07:15 PM)Slinger Wrote: Secondly: Why use hamachi or tunngle? Rollcage 1&2 already got good internet support. One person has to host the game (and can select stuff like "high/low connection speed" and message distribution) and the rest just enter the ip of the host. I'd really like to know if there is any practical advantage of using a vpn connection instead of going straight over the internet.

Hmm I'm not very sure about that. Just last night, me and my room mate were trying to connect to Lust's room (a member of the Rollcage steam group). I was trying with the virtual IP adress from Tunngle while he was trying with the "real" IP adress Lust just gave us. I managed to find the game while he didn't.

Maybe Tunngle had modified something to the internet network, I dunno. But, considering the huge numbers of computers connecting using IP compared to the small number of IPv4 adresses available.. I technically don't really know how it would work ; but maybe it actually does ! It would be interesting to try without Tunngle to see how it behaves.

But, that aside, I find Tunngle very useful (especially when we have played Rollcage 1 last night)
-> while i was playing i lost connexion to my steam account (that unfortunately happens sometimes ; steam servers aren't so stable). Thereby, I couldn't be able to chat with others using steam while I could with Tunngle during that period (i was living anyway, but I wanted to say them i was living)
-> having the games on Tunngle can be a way to recruit new members. Before I had created that group, I was sometimes trying to connect to the rollcage stage II tunngle lobby to see if someone would come here. If we suppose somebody is trying the same thing, if he comes and we're in, then we recruit a new member.
-> Also, a cool feature of Tunngle is that when a message is sent, there is a "bip" sound. By default, it is not included in the steam chat (you have to tick it everytime you start a conversation, but it's very easy to forget it). Why is it useful ? When you're in Rollcage 1, and you press Alt Tab, the game just leaves. So if you're the host and you're waiting players to come and you wonder why they don't come, it is impossible for you to know if they have problems without exiting the game ; but if you do and you realize actually nobody sent message to you.. You're screwed.
While with Tunngle, if players have problem, they post on Tunngle, it makes a "bip", and then you are aware that people posted on Tunngle and thereby have left Rollcage 1. Then you can know why they have left Rollcage 1 (typically, last night we couldn't be able to connect)

Of course we could use skype to chat or things like that, but it would mean adding each other as friends and not mess up with your friend list etc., while it's much simpler with Tunngle.
http://www.twitch.tv/lustvangoth/b/499241944

Wow, Combat Mode looks amazing with Online Multiplayer!

Can't believe i'm missing out on this. May motivate me enough to finally get around to buying 'Boot Camp!' Wink

This has got to be a large feature in Recaged hehe.

Awesome Combat Mode arenas should be as much priority as the race tracks IMO! Tongue
Yes it definitely is ! The Firefox track is really the best track of RC2
The problem is that given my previous experiences I don't want to install a VPN (i.e. tunngle, hamachi), and my controller setups as a bit awkward as Xbox 360 controllers don't have proper joypad support (the steering axes end up on the right stick and require some tedious registry editing), and given how often I use my 360 controller I don't particularly feel up to 'fixing' it for Rollcage.

I can't play on a keyboard or a digital pad for the life of me. Steering is too slow. :/

Direct TCP/IP (Internet) connections do work, but they're finicky with ports and usually end up requiring that router firewalls are turned off/DMZ'd. I think when me and Slinger played I had to DMZ my laptop to get it to see him and connect (but once it did it ran pretty much flawlessly). So, technically it does still work (yay for p2p TCP/IP systems) but is a bit of a pain to initially get going.

There's not really much else I can do. Maybe when Microsoft launch XB1 pad drivers for Windows I can swap my games to that and leave my 360 controller configured for Rollcage. Derp. :/
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
(2014-02-03, 04:08 PM)K.Mac Wrote: I can't play on a keyboard or a digital pad for the life of me. Steering is too slow. :/
I have always played with the keyboard and everything is about the frequency you struck the key. If you hold the key, you will just turn too quickly. To do a medium turn, I think i'm strucking my key at 3-4 Hz. I'm holding the key only when I really want to turn. That's just a matter of habits and being used too Smile
(2014-01-30, 07:15 PM)Slinger Wrote: Regarding bootcamp

Bootcamp VS. Parallels Desktop 9?

Of course running two OS seamlessly has it's advantages, but i hear this technique is often pretty buggy and has it's own problems... Hmmmm? Confused

Still on topic, by the way. It will help people who want to play, but have a Mac! Wink
(2014-01-31, 11:47 AM)potterman28wxcv Wrote: I wanted to rename the group to Rollcage Series Playing Group, but it's impossible to rename a group when it's created. So I've just added in the description that it's possible to play Rollcage 1 as well.

[...]

Maybe Tunngle had modified something to the internet network, I dunno. But, considering the huge numbers of computers connecting using IP compared to the small number of IPv4 adresses available.. I technically don't really know how it would work ; but maybe it actually does ! It would be interesting to try without Tunngle to see how it behaves.

I did some searching too, and it seems the only solution would be to create a new group (and tell all members to join the new one). I looked and there is no group with simply just the name 'Rollcage', so that would be a quite attractive grab. Wink The choice is yours, but right now the group only got 10 members and no games listed, so it should be easy to recreate it if you decide to do that.

Regarding the classic ipv4 issue: Most people are still only pure ip addresses, and only the host would need a real ip address (to receive connections). For instance, my isp uses dynamic ip addresses but as long as I just check my current IP I can always host games.

Listening for incoming traffic is still the most common approach for servers (including games) and p2p, so most players should be able to host. Besides, it's probably how networking will work in recaged as well.

(2014-01-31, 06:25 PM)Tazeram Wrote: Can't believe i'm missing out on this. May motivate me enough to finally get around to buying 'Boot Camp!' Wink
Boot camp is only needed if you want to dual boot to windows. Do you want to run windows?

Because wine does an excellent job of running games, you know. In fact there are many old(er) games that doesn't run well in windows any more, but runs just fine in wine. One example of this is the original carmageddon game: it doesn't even run in windows anymore. But it runs fine with wine.

Rollcage is the same: it starts to get harder and harder to run it in windows. I use a radeon card, and recent "updates" to the drivers has caused some weird problem where half of all triangles on the cars are not rendered, and the depth testing doesn't work. Yeah, rubbish. But wine doesn't have this problem, and as an extra bonus I can run the game in any resolution I want (1080p widescreen anyone?), and can even run it in a window!

In case you don't know what wine is: It's not virtualization and it's not an emulator. It's a windows compatibility layer for other OSes. It reimplements many windows libraries (and can support native windows DLLs if you need it) and it rewrites the program when it's launched so it runs natively on your os.

As I said, I'm using debian and have been able to run rollcage nicely with wine. In fact, I just tried it and there are no graphics bugs anymore.

1) get wine: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
1.5) if you want, run winecfg and set up a virtual desktop (that way the game runs in a window)
2) install rollcage
3) play!

(2014-02-18, 01:50 PM)Tazeram Wrote: Bootcamp VS. Parallels Desktop 9?

Of course running two OS seamlessly has it's advantages, but i hear this technique is often pretty buggy and has it's own problems... Hmmmm? Confused

None. Unless you really need to dual boot windows, I don't see why you should get bootcamp. And virtualization doesn't give very good performance... At least not with 3D.

Anyway, regarding debian: It was an example of an OS you might actually want to dual boot. And you don't need bootcamp to install it.Tongue

(2014-02-03, 04:08 PM)K.Mac Wrote: I can't play on a keyboard or a digital pad for the life of me. Steering is too slow. :/

Direct TCP/IP (Internet) connections do work, but they're finicky with ports and usually end up requiring that router firewalls are turned off/DMZ'd. I think when me and Slinger played I had to DMZ my laptop to get it to see him and connect (but once it did it ran pretty much flawlessly). So, technically it does still work (yay for p2p TCP/IP systems) but is a bit of a pain to initially get going.
There must be some program out there to manipulate axes for the xbox controller, but I haven't searched. I remember when we played online, I did actually try using a rewired (original) xbox controller, but really I'm a keyboard rollcager for life! Wink

And yes: figure out what ports needs to be open, make sure your firewalls (hardware and software) allows it incoming.

(2014-02-03, 08:42 PM)potterman28wxcv Wrote:
I have always played with the keyboard and everything is about the frequency you struck the key. If you hold the key, you will just turn too quickly. To do a medium turn, I think i'm strucking my key at 3-4 Hz. I'm holding the key only when I really want to turn. That's just a matter of habits and being used too Smile
True!

Of topic: I heard there's a lot of rain in the UK, are you holding out Mac? Undecided
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
(2014-02-18, 05:12 PM)Slinger Wrote: Of topic: I heard there's a lot of rain in the UK, are you holding out Mac? Undecided

Hasn't rained worth shit here. Has mostly just been brutally cold and windy. |:
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
Oh, that's good. I saw a video on the news of an absolutely flooded village and thought it might be like that wherever you lived.

And while I'm still digressing: Some moolah for ya sky rocket?
(2014-02-23, 12:25 PM)Slinger Wrote: Oh, that's good. I saw a video on the news of an absolutely flooded village and thought it might be like that wherever you lived.

I haven't lived in a village for almost four years, where I live is pretty much un-floodable unless the ice-caps melt =p
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
(2014-02-18, 05:12 PM)Slinger Wrote: I did some searching too, and it seems the only solution would be to create a new group (and tell all members to join the new one). I looked and there is no group with simply just the name 'Rollcage', so that would be a quite attractive grab. Wink The choice is yours, but right now the group only got 10 members and no games listed, so it should be easy to recreate it if you decide to do that.

Actually when people search "Rollcage" or "Rollcage Stage 2", there is the wiki page, and I've added links there to the steam group Wink

If people search "rollcage forum", my rollcage forum is in the first result page. If they search "rollcage stage 2 forum", yours is first, with a direct link to my post about the steam group.

If they search "rollcage multiplayer", there's a post of me in the wipeout forum who appears. Same for "rollcage stage 2 multiplayer" ; so if someone finds something about rollcage multiplayer he will find it. (There's just a new member that came in by googling rollcage)

(2014-02-18, 05:12 PM)Slinger Wrote: Regarding the classic ipv4 issue: Most people are still only pure ip addresses, and only the host would need a real ip address (to receive connections). For instance, my isp uses dynamic ip addresses but as long as I just check my current IP I can always host games.

Listening for incoming traffic is still the most common approach for servers (including games) and p2p, so most players should be able to host. Besides, it's probably how networking will work in recaged as well.

Actually, once there was someone hosting a game on Rollcage (i think it was LustVanGoth) ; he gave me his real IP, and I had his virtual IP via Tunngle. Connecting via his real IP didn't work, while connecting via his virtual IP did. I think it's a matter of opening ports, and having a proper firewall configuration but.. Do you know exactly what ports the Rollcage games are using ? Once we've tried with Unreal_2k7 to track them, and it was just random.
(2014-03-09, 01:59 PM)potterman28wxcv Wrote: Actually, once there was someone hosting a game on Rollcage (i think it was LustVanGoth) ; he gave me his real IP, and I had his virtual IP via Tunngle. Connecting via his real IP didn't work, while connecting via his virtual IP did. I think it's a matter of opening ports, and having a proper firewall configuration but.. Do you know exactly what ports the Rollcage games are using ? Once we've tried with Unreal_2k7 to track them, and it was just random.
I don't; Rollcage is a game so old that playing games over TCP/IP was a new thing and I don't think things such as firewalls existed en-masse given how limited TCP/IP (and Internet) usage was back then. It probably just uses any random port it wants.

The times me and Slinger got games working I simply DMZ'd my laptop, and it then worked fine (as far as connecting/playing goes. it was a bit laggy but due to distance).
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
I'm just concerned with people who (like me) access the steam network exclusively through the steam client (no external web browser). When joining a new steam group I open steam, and do a group search for what I was looking for. I usually end up with a long list of groups with similar names, each one claiming to be "the official" group for what I was looking for.

And I suspect a lot of people are going to search for "rollcage" and end up discarding this group because the name is complicated. Or, far worse: Someone else might create a new group simply called "Rollcage", and steal all your new members!

Quote:Do you know exactly what ports the Rollcage games are using ? Once we've tried with Unreal_2k7 to track them, and it was just random.
Not of hand. But I'm fairly sure it's just one or two, and not randomly chosen: the clients needs to be able to find the host, random ports would prevent that.

It should be quite easy to figure out, though: Assuming you got a hardware router&firewall, go the the admin interface and look for a log feature. Just let a friend try to connect (using rollcage), and see what ports the router reports to have blocked.

Or, try adding a port number in the ip field: the host types his own ip plus the port, and the client(s) does the same, eg: "127.0.0.1:444" (not a real ip, but you notice the port 444 in the end?). If it works, you should be able to chose the port you want to use. But It's unlikely to work, so I'd suggest the earlier method first.

Or, as Mac said: DMZ (and completely disabled windows FW) FTW! Well what do I know, I only use windows for gaming, I always got the firewall disabled. But I don't DMZ my system unless I got a reason for it. Wink

(2014-02-28, 06:55 PM)K.Mac Wrote:
(2014-02-23, 12:25 PM)Slinger Wrote: Oh, that's good. I saw a video on the news of an absolutely flooded village and thought it might be like that wherever you lived.

I haven't lived in a village for almost four years, where I live is pretty much un-floodable unless the ice-caps melt =p

Never say never...Wink

Also: new avatar? hum... I should really try creating some crazy steampunk furrsona avatar... *dreams*
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
I didn't disable the Windows firewall (because it's crap).

I disable my router's firewall (because it's good). XP
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
(2014-03-10, 06:59 PM)Slinger Wrote: I'm just concerned with people who (like me) access the steam network exclusively through the steam client (no external web browser). When joining a new steam group I open steam, and do a group search for what I was looking for. I usually end up with a long list of groups with similar names, each one claiming to be "the official" group for what I was looking for.

And I suspect a lot of people are going to search for "rollcage" and end up discarding this group because the name is complicated. Or, far worse: Someone else might create a new group simply called "Rollcage", and steal all your new members!

Hmm I wasn't thinking of it this way.. Ima do it now, thanks !

Quote:Do you know exactly what ports the Rollcage games are using ? Once we've tried with Unreal_2k7 to track them, and it was just random.

(2014-03-10, 06:59 PM)Slinger Wrote: Or, try adding a port number in the ip field: the host types his own ip plus the port, and the client(s) does the same, eg: "127.0.0.1:444" (not a real ip, but you notice the port 444 in the end?). If it works, you should be able to chose the port you want to use. But It's unlikely to work, so I'd suggest the earlier method first.

Hmm that's something I would try then ; but if another software comes in and uses that port.. Btw I don't really know how exactly the softwares are choosing which ports to use.

Actually I've tracked a port (i can't remember which one ; whatever) that is listening. Here is what is happening when it freezes : the connexion is established between the server and the client, and it's as if they weren't really able to send datas ; it closes like 30 seconds later without nothing having happened.

(2014-03-10, 06:59 PM)Slinger Wrote: Or, as Mac said: DMZ (and completely disabled windows FW) FTW! Well what do I know, I only use windows for gaming, I always got the firewall disabled. But I don't DMZ my system unless I got a reason for it. Wink

Yeah but it's not recommanded for the security. Someone can just do everything he wants of your internet box if it happens I believe.
Quote:Hmm I wasn't thinking of it this way.. Ima do it now, thanks !
Let us know if you create a new group, and we'll start moving! (also announce it on the old steam group so all members know about it) Thumbs Up

As for the ports, okay I'm going to figure this out once and for all!

Okay, first I'll need dplay.ddl for networking (running rollcage using wine FTW!)

Okay³, winetricks to the rescue!

Okay⁴, the following ports are LISTENING on my system, by rollcage (as wineserver, according to netstat): 47624 and 2300

To reiterate: open ports 47624 and 2300 on your firewalls and you should be all set!

Maybe. Let me know if it works (or if it doesn't work).

Quote:Yeah but it's not recommanded for the security. Someone can just do everything he wants of your internet box if it happens I believe.
Ha! Real Men, blaha blaha blaha... Wink
Try systemd. They said.

Code: