A Rollcage Stage 2 steam group
Mmm, server. Yes good point. List of potential hosts At least some non-commercial alternatives.
Try systemd. They said.
It'll be just as reliable as init. They said.
It'll be completely bug-free. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.
Okay, we'll shove it down your throat whether you like it or not. They said.

I guess it's finally time to look into GuixSD and/or devuan.

Code:
systemd-journald(195): Received SIGTERM.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-udevd.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service has no holdoff time, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
systemd[1]: Unit systemd-journald.service entered failed state.
Just heard about this on Linux Voice, and thought I'd mention it: Firefox Hello (and yes, it works in/between different browsers)

In short, open your browser, click the "hello" button, send the link to other people and they can join the conversation. It should solve the problems with volume levels, different OSes, people who don't like to run steam (oh hello...), not require any central server. It also supports video, for those who like that.
Try systemd. They said.
Our monolithic windows-approach is far superior to the Unix-approach. They said.
Okay, so the codebase has grown gigantic and no one but our paid group of full-time developers who created it can maintain it and fix bugs... but it'll be fine. They said.

Code:
systemd[1]: systemd-udevd.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-udevd.service
systemd[1]: systemd-journald.service failed to schedule restart job: final.target is queued, ignoring restart request for unit systemd-journald.service
(2014-12-16, 10:42 AM)Slinger Wrote: Just heard about this on Linux Voice, and thought I'd mention it: Firefox Hello (and yes, it works in/between different browsers)

In short, open your browser, click the "hello" button, send the link to other people and they can join the conversation. It should solve the problems with volume levels, different OSes, people who don't like to run steam (oh hello...), not require any central server. It also supports video, for those who like that.

By the way, we moved to a Mumble server now Wink We tried it last week, and it was working really great.

Now there are two Mumble servers : one rented (for the price of a hamburger per month), and one hosted by t_n_o on Saturday. But Broscar told he would get his own server soon, and move the rollcage.broscar.nl forum as well as make it a Mumble server.

So now the problem of steam voice chat is solved. And there's not even the need to join Tunngle anymore, since now network is sufficiently fixed to use the direct IP addresses. So.. now we only use the steam group chat to gather, and tell people to go on Mumble. That's a step closer to the steam independance Smile (and one day there may be the need to be completely independent of steam I'm afraid.. But not yet)
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
A very late reply:

Sounds great! Also do keep an eye on webrtc (like firefox hello, and other names on other browsers), I got a feeling it might be the next step in voice comm. But until then mumble is Crème de la crème. Wink
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
Well, just a little update to share with you the new announcement of Rob
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcag...0203015771
___________________________________________________________________________________
Rollcage steam group to plan multiplayer games, check it out -> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rollcage
Oh, yeah. I saw it last weekend. I noticed the image for the stam group had changed and started digging around the posts to see what was going on...

I assume it's a game, running on some existing engine (unreal? leadwerks?). It looks really cool and I wish the developers the best of luck. I hope they develop this because they want to make a new rollcage game - and not that they already were building a racing game and went hunting for a pitch to make it more unique. I hope we'll see timewarps, wormholes and drillers. Wink

To be honest when I first saw what was going on I didn't know what to think. Seeing someone else attempting the same thing I've been working on for years, but obviously being further ahead and gaining much more (but deserved) hype... I've been expecting it to happen eventually. Now I'm just thrilled to see a rollcage game in a modern engine. It also made me think (sorry for going all narcissistic here); like, a bit more "what am I doing?" Existentially stuff. I had a bit of an epiphany and made a decision. Some stuff to finish up, but you will see.
Try systemd. They said.

Code:
(2015-06-16, 07:40 PM)Slinger Wrote: Oh,

To be honest when I first saw what was going on I didn't know what to think. Seeing someone else attempting the same thing I've been working on for years, but obviously being further ahead and gaining much more (but deserved) hype... I've been expecting it to happen eventually. Now I'm just thrilled to see a rollcage game in a modern engine. It also made me think (sorry for going all narcissistic here); like, a bit more "what am I doing?" Existentially stuff. I had a bit of an epiphany and made a decision. Some stuff to finish up, but you will see.
I was expecting this reaction  Angel Even though you can still continue your project, it somewhat cancels the original aim that you had, bringing a new Rollcage to the surface.

First, you have to know that they have a lot more resources than you. As far as I know they are 3 on their team (Robert Baker alias codemonkey, another guy in the group who does modelling stuff, and Mr Rob James senior artist on both Rollcage). Also, they will make a kickstarter, which means they will have lots of funds soon enough. So eventually they will be able to hire some more fellows to help them.

Even though you have been working on it for a long time, you have to expect them to finish sooner than you, and also to have more hype, because they have two guys of the original Rollcage team afterall.

But with everything you have accomplished so far, if I was the original starter of the project, I would be very frustrated to end it like this. Though, whatever your decision to continue or not, you have to keep in mind that if you continue Recaged, it will surely be "in the shadow" of GRIP (unless GRIP gets unexpectedly avorted, for some weird reason - usually money or copyrights. Let's hope it doesn't happen).
I don't want RCX to die. It's actually kinda fun that I've been involved in actually -coding- a game..
96.5%
MORE
WUB WUB.
[Image: 54f5c31d9f2ce.gif]
No, I did not just disappear. I just went on what I'd like to call a short vacation. In reality it was more a change of scenery with continued studying. I was thinking of writing something but I did not expect so much activity. "You have 3 unread private messages." Laugh

I don't have the time to write what I've planed here, but I feel I wanted to point this out right away:

In the last post I intentionally worded myself vague because I didn't want to announce anything yet. But in retrospect I ended up sounding like a drama queen. I'm not abandoning this. But I am going to take a brake. I'll need to spend some time to write a good explanation for my thoughts and reasons, and before that I'm planing on finishing a little "going away gift" (it will be a bit hacky, have lower coding quality compared to the existing code, and have lots of unfinished stuff... but it will be different...). And before all that I've got some stuff and an exam in about 2 months taking all my time. I didn't want to announce something before I could also show of this little surprise, but I think it's better to write this now than to keep people thinking it's dead.

Despite what it might seem like, I've not given up from seeing someone else probably beating me to create "just" a new rollcage. What it did was make me realize something important I should have realized sooner. It's more about me right now and less about this project. I'm actually going to write something off the record to a few people to explain this. It's kind of important, but also feels a bit personal. [EDIT: and there I go sounding like a drama queen again. It's just about a medical thing; less energy, and finally realizing just how much it has affected/hindered me]

@Mac: that's the beauty of free software.
@potterman: that's a nice and realistic reply. It's completely right, but perhaps also overlooking something...

Well, I'm outatime. Tongue

Oh:

ps: so Rob is one of the people behind that? Well, that explains a few things. And also confirms a theory I had when the first redux builds started to appear... "I'm a professional cynic, but my heart's not in it..." Rolleyes Tongue

pps:recaged/rcx... oh lord, you guys intentionally used both names, didn't you?
Try systemd. They said.

Code: